ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Hi.I have just discovered that my parents computer has acquired a very annoying problem.Whenever you type a url in the address box it always goes straight to the "we can't find this page" screen.With most common sites it offers the option of "Did you intend to go to one of these similar Web addresses?" and the site is usually listed below.If the clickable hyperlink is there then clicking on it does take you to the site.So, i can get to any site i want to so long as msn search is aware of it but i can't just type in an address and get to the site.
Can anyone help me fix this problem?
By the way, the system is running xp pro with IE6 and i have just installed sp1a but to no avail in this respect.I would be very grateful for any help with this irritating issue.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Sounds like it could be a problem with your DNS servers. try checking your internet connection settings, and see if you are to obtain DNS addresses automatically.

You could also try contacting your ISP, see if they can supply you with DNS server addresses.

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN :mad:

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
go to

Start->Control Panel->Network and Dial-up Connections->Local Area Connection->Properties

and uou should be able to see if you obtain them automatically or if they are manually entered. If they are manual, try setting this to automatic. If they are automatic, try contacting you ISP.

Hope I could be of some help...

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN :mad:

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Thanks for your help.I didn't manage to get it to work but i have just downloaded mozilla and that seems to be working fine so it must just have been an IE problem.Only problem is that mozilla doesn't seem to want to let me flick between two open pages in different windows, always forcing me back to the first one that was opened.A much less irritating issue though so i'm happy enough for the time being.Thanks again.

goblinking

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Might sound stupid, but are you sure you're typing into the address bar?

Your parents might have unwittingly hidden the address bar, and you could be typing into the search bar instead. That would explain why it's just Internet Explorer, and why the links work.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Nope.It's definitely the address bar.Mozilla's working well enough for me at the moment though so i'm doing ok.
Thanks for the input anyway :smile: .