9600XT overheating?

earth4x

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
Hey... I was wondering around the other day and saw that my sapphire 9600XT was running at 62 degrees while being idle on my desktop !!!!!!!!

that's not normal right? could my gpu fan be broken?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
If the fan isn't stopped or making rattling/irritating noises, then it's probably fine.

Modern cards do get very hot, but in general they cope with more heat than CPUs do.

You'll always get glitches in games and stuff before it starts seriously overheating (i.e. damagingly so), so if your games all run ok, then there's nothing wrong with the card.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Just to check though, what's your chipset (motherboard) temperature? Altering Case airflow is about the only thing you can do to bring the gfx card's temps down. (well, without voiding the warranty)

If you have an Athlon XP or A64, then a mobo temp of 25-35C is quite normal, depending on Ambient. Up to 40ish is probably just about Acceptable, but probably needs addressing, IMO

if a (newish) P4 system, then 'normal' temp is a bit higher in my experience...

If you could list CPU & mobo temps, as well as system specs, then we'll have a better idea.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

earth4x

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
I just checked this morning, the gpu fan doesn't work!

does anyone know a good company that makes gpu fans? I don't feel like waiting while sending the card in the mail