XP Wants Activation... 5 times in 2 months! Why???

A couple of months ago I replaced a CD-R/W drive with a newer one, and ever
since then I have been on a Merry-Go-Round with XP constantly wanting me to
Activate Windows, claiming that the hardware has significantly changed.

Has anyone got any idea how to convince Windows that "all is well" and to
quit bugging me about Activation -- I had to reactivate prior to logging on
here, and went through this only two days prior!

Thanks...

Rich McKay
Idaho

Jimmi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002

"Rich McKay" wrote:

> A couple of months ago I replaced a CD-R/W drive with a newer one, and ever
> since then I have been on a Merry-Go-Round with XP constantly wanting me to
> Activate Windows, claiming that the hardware has significantly changed.
>
> Has anyone got any idea how to convince Windows that "all is well" and to
> quit bugging me about Activation -- I had to reactivate prior to logging on
> here, and went through this only two days prior!
>
> Thanks...
>
> Rich McKay
> Idaho

Jimmi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002

Iteresting...That just happend to me this morning! I didn't change a thing
however! after I re-activated my USB ports stopped working. Don't know if
that is connected to the re-activation or not. Trying to figure that out now.
I tried a system restore but the only point I have is for 6-22-05 as this is
a new home built PC. The restore didn't work...wondering if that has
something to do with the re-activation?
"Rich McKay" wrote:

> A couple of months ago I replaced a CD-R/W drive with a newer one, and ever
> since then I have been on a Merry-Go-Round with XP constantly wanting me to
> Activate Windows, claiming that the hardware has significantly changed.
>
> Has anyone got any idea how to convince Windows that "all is well" and to
> quit bugging me about Activation -- I had to reactivate prior to logging on
> here, and went through this only two days prior!
>
> Thanks...
>
> Rich McKay
> Idaho

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Rich McKay" <Rich McKay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A couple of months ago I replaced a CD-R/W drive with a newer one, and
>ever
> since then I have been on a Merry-Go-Round with XP constantly wanting
> me to
> Activate Windows, claiming that the hardware has significantly
> changed.
>
> Has anyone got any idea how to convince Windows that "all is well" and
> quit bugging me about Activation -- I had to reactivate prior to
> logging on
> here, and went through this only two days prior!

Did you call the telephone number shown in the activation dialog to talk
to Microsoft about it?

"Vanguard" wrote:

> Did you call the telephone number shown in the activation dialog to talk
> to Microsoft about it?

Yes... I called on the third occurance. I had a difficult time
understanding the person on the phone, and while they led me through the
steps to reactivate, they didn't seem to either understand the
question/problem or else be interested in doing anything other than just the
activation. Maybe the next time this happens (probably in the next couple of
days) I'll try the phone option again.

"Rich McKay" <Rich McKay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>A couple of months ago I replaced a CD-R/W drive with a newer one, and ever
>since then I have been on a Merry-Go-Round with XP constantly wanting me to
>Activate Windows, claiming that the hardware has significantly changed.
>
>Has anyone got any idea how to convince Windows that "all is well" and to
>quit bugging me about Activation -- I had to reactivate prior to logging on
>here, and went through this only two days prior!
>
>Thanks...
>
>Rich McKay
>Idaho

Try repairing the registry entries for the .DLL files used by
activation:

Use Start- Run and enter the following text in the dialog box:
regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll

Then do it again with the following text:
regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"Jimmi" <Jimmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Iteresting...That just happend to me this morning! I didn't change a thing
>however! after I re-activated my USB ports stopped working. Don't know if
>that is connected to the re-activation or not. Trying to figure that out now.
>I tried a system restore but the only point I have is for 6-22-05 as this is
>a new home built PC. The restore didn't work...wondering if that has
>something to do with the re-activation?

On a newly built computer I would suspect a hardware related issue,
possibly something in the motherboard, motherboard BIOS, or the power
supply.

Check all of the power connections and make sure they are properly
seated, and that all cooling fans and air ducts are in place and
functioning properly.

Did you do a BIOS update after you finished assembling the computer?
Sometimes that will trigger a reactivation because the hardware is
detected differently.