Start>Run>cmd shortcut corrupted

Hello, after recent encounters with trojans and spyware my cmd run
shortcut no longer works. When i hit start, run cmd i get:
D:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.com
D:\windows\system32\autoexec.net. The system file is not suitable
for running MS-DOS and Windows Applications, ’Close’ to terminate.
This is because none of these files exist i guess.

It should run cmd.EXE not .com. Does anyone know how to change it
back?
Thanks.
Mark

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Start-gt-Run-gt-cmd-shortcut-corrupted-ftopict549682.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1739916
5 answers Last reply
More about start shortcut corrupted

    Mark,

    Delete cmd.com, as it's not a Windows file. That might be a virus.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "MrExtreme" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, after recent encounters with trojans and spyware my cmd run
    > shortcut no longer works. When i hit start, run cmd i get:
    > D:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.com
    > D:\windows\system32\autoexec.net. The system file is not suitable
    > for running MS-DOS and Windows Applications, ’Close’ to terminate.
    > This is because none of these files exist i guess.
    >
    > It should run cmd.EXE not .com. Does anyone know how to change it
    > back?
    > Thanks.
    > Mark

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Start-gt-Run-gt-cmd-shortcut-corrupted-ftopict549682.html

    In addition to what Ramesh posted.

    It is
    \windows\system32\autoexec.nt
    Not
    \windows\system32\autoexec.net

    Seems to be an epidemic lately....

    This can be caused by a trojan.

    Get rid of the trojan.

    Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

    Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32
    And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

    Or %systemroot%\Repair to %systemroot%\System32

    Read-only
    [[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
    changed or accidentally deleted.]]

    1. Right click the file.
    2. Properties.
    3. Select: ? Read-only.
    4. Click: Apply.
    5. Click: OK.

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

    MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3_1739916_fc424f960cb9969160a0aee4a262eace@windowsforumz.com,
    MrExtreme <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> hunted and pecked:

    "MrExtreme" wrote:
    > Hello, after recent encounters with trojans and spyware my cmd
    > run shortcut no longer works. When i hit start, run cmd i get:
    > D:WINDOWSsystem32cmd.com
    > D:windowssystem32autoexec.net. The system file is not
    > suitable for running MS-DOS and Windows Applications, 'Close'
    > to terminate.
    > This is because none of these files exist i guess.
    >
    > It should run cmd.EXE not .com. Does anyone know how to change
    > it back?
    > Thanks.
    > Mark

    Is system32 supposed to have "command.com"
    If i rename or delete it and type cmd.
    I will still get an error message.
    If I leave the file and type cmd, it will go into prompt and exit
    straight away.
    Can’t win hey, thats for the help anyway.

    Normally...
    To start command.com from Start | Run, you type command.
    To start cmd.exe from Start | Run, you type cmd.

    command.com (49.4 KB) should be in...
    %windir%\system32
    or
    D:\WINDOWS\system32

    cmd.exe (367 KB) should be in...
    %windir%\system32
    D:\WINDOWS\system32
    and
    %windir%\system32\dllcache
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

    What happens if you paste this in Start | Run and click OK?

    %windir%\system32\cmd.exe

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3_1746488_1ab0ebbf80dc220d4d33a6c067e55e06@windowsforumz.com,
    MrExtreme <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> hunted and pecked:

    "" wrote:
    > Normally...
    > To start command.com from Start | Run, you type command.
    > To start cmd.exe from Start | Run, you type cmd.
    >

    > command.com (49.4 KB) should be in...
    > %windir%system32
    > or
    > D:WINDOWSsystem32
    >
    > cmd.exe (367 KB) should be in...
    > %windir%system32
    > D:WINDOWSsystem32
    > and
    > %windir%system32dllcache
    > D:WINDOWSsystem32dllcache
    >

    > What happens if you paste this in Start | Run and click OK?
    >
    > %windir%system32cmd.exe
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In
    > MrExtreme <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > "MrExtreme" wrote:
    > > > Hello, after recent encounters with trojans and spyware
    > my cmd
    > > > run shortcut no longer works. When i hit start, run cmd i
    > get:
    > > > D:WINDOWSsystem32cmd.com
    > > > D:windowssystem32autoexec.net. The system file is not
    > > > suitable for running MS-DOS and Windows Applications,
    > 'Close'
    > > > to terminate.
    > > > This is because none of these files exist i guess.
    > > >
    > > > It should run cmd.EXE not .com. Does anyone know how to change
    > > > it back?
    > > > Thanks.
    > > > Mark
    > >
    > > Is system32 supposed to have "command.com"
    > > If i rename or delete it and type cmd.
    > > I will still get an error message.
    > > If I leave the file and type cmd, it will go into prompt and
    > exit
    > > straight away.
    > > Can’t win hey, thats for the help anyway.

    Ahh yes, typing "cmd.exe" works - it runs the system32\cmd.exe
    typing cmd runs some other command prompt that crashes straight away.
    Think I’ll just leave it like that
    thanks,
    Mark

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Start-gt-Run-gt-cmd-shortcut-corrupted-ftopict549682.html