New drive partition after XP upgrade?

I just upgraded from Windows ME to XP Home Edition. Previously I had a
decent amount of disk space, but now my disk is nearly full and there is a
new drive, drive E, that showed up after the upgrade. What's this about?
How can I get my disk space back, or can I?

Also, and this may be realted to the disk space, there is a constant ticking
or accessing of the drive while I am on my computer. This, too, has been
since the upgrade. Any ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about drive partition upgrade

    ComputerChallenged wrote:

    > I just upgraded from Windows ME to XP Home Edition. Previously I had a
    > decent amount of disk space, but now my disk is nearly full and there is a
    > new drive, drive E, that showed up after the upgrade. What's this about?
    > How can I get my disk space back, or can I?
    >
    > Also, and this may be realted to the disk space, there is a constant ticking
    > or accessing of the drive while I am on my computer. This, too, has been
    > since the upgrade. Any ideas?

    XP takes up a lot of hard drive realestate and keeps your drive *very*
    busy in its default state. The extra partition is anyone's guess as you
    give no information as to what else you did. Just a guess - are sure you
    upgraded and didn't do a new install on that extra partition that showed up?

    John

    "John" wrote:

    > ComputerChallenged wrote:
    >
    > > I just upgraded from Windows ME to XP Home Edition. Previously I had a
    > > decent amount of disk space, but now my disk is nearly full and there is a
    > > new drive, drive E, that showed up after the upgrade. What's this about?
    > > How can I get my disk space back, or can I?
    > >
    > > Also, and this may be realted to the disk space, there is a constant ticking
    > > or accessing of the drive while I am on my computer. This, too, has been
    > > since the upgrade. Any ideas?
    >
    > XP takes up a lot of hard drive realestate and keeps your drive *very*
    > busy in its default state. The extra partition is anyone's guess as you
    > give no information as to what else you did. Just a guess - are sure you
    > upgraded and didn't do a new install on that extra partition that showed up?
    >
    > John

    Thank you for your reply. It was an upgrade and not a new install. This
    was done on my laptop. A drive E with 2 GB of space is now showing. It
    doesn't appear to have anything in it, but I don't want to try to remove the
    partition if it is needed. I have not ever partitioned my drive in the past.
    I was reading somewhere on Microsoft that XP has done this before when it
    thought there was a zip dirve or something? *shrug*

    Partitions don't just appear! but its hard to see how a simple upgrade can
    setup one. There is an option in the installation script that allows WinXP
    to be installed in any unformatted space on your hard disk and that would
    create a new partition. Anyhow you need to find out if there is anything on
    drive E. Go to Explorer/Tools/Folder options select the view tab and in the
    long list make sure the show hidden files radio button is on, show hidden
    files and folders check box is checked and hide protected operating system
    files checkbox is unchecked. Now look at drive E: there will probably be a
    Recycle bin entry and possibly a pagefile.sys. If you still want to get the
    hard disk space back you will need something like Partition Magic or Acronis
    Disk Director both of which will allow the space on the extra partition to
    be reallocated. If your gard disk is constantly being paged then you almost
    certainly need more memory. 500Mb of ram will usually make Windows happy

    Chelsea

    ComputerChallenged <ComputerChallenged@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >Thank you for your reply. It was an upgrade and not a new install. This
    >was done on my laptop. A drive E with 2 GB of space is now showing. It
    >doesn't appear to have anything in it, but I don't want to try to remove the
    >partition if it is needed. I have not ever partitioned my drive in the past.
    > I was reading somewhere on Microsoft that XP has done this before when it
    >thought there was a zip dirve or something? *shrug*

    Is there any data in that new partition?

    It could be a "hidden" System Recovery partition put there by the
    laptop manufacturer at the factory. If so then this will contain an
    exact image of your computer's original Windows and the factory
    preinstalled apps, just as it was when the laptop left the factory.

    XP will often detect these partitions and give them a drive letter
    even though they are technically "hidden" and are not visible to
    earlier versions of Windows such as Windows 98 or Windows Me.

    Good luck.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP