Graphic card short-circuit or overheating?

Chamitae

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Hi everyone,

I recently installed a watercooling system in my computer which cools the processor and graphic card. During the installation, some water (a mix of de-ionized water and antifreeze) dripped onto my graphic card. So I let it dry for a day.

But now that the installation is completed, there is a lot of artifacts (but still readable) when displaying text-mode (like the bios or Linux console) and I can't see a thing (loads of colorful junk) when displaying graphical stuff (Windows or Linux GDM).

On the first tries, the artifacts would only appear after 5 to 10 minutes of utilization. But now, it appears on boot.

So i'm wandering if its due to the fact that some water dripped onto the card or if the card is simply overheating due to bad installation.

Its hard for me to test if the card is overheating, because I can't use the monitoring software since I need to boot in Windows.

Thanks for your help.

----------------------------
Who is that General Failure?

Chamitae

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Could be either of both.

Anitfreeze could leave a coating on the board which could conduct. Have you tried reinstalling the stock HSF on the VGA card. Are your using a splitter to plug power to the VGA? Could try the card on another rig or try another card.

Didnt you run the water colling kit outside the system for 24hrs before installing it?

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Chamitae

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I've tried an another card and it works perfectly. I think I screwed my card definitely...

Every time I try the card, it seems to get worse. And seeing how bad it behaves, I don't think it's repairable. Oh well, I think my good ol' geforce 4 will have an upgrade :)

Thanks for your reply anyway.

Chamitae

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get a gallon of distilled water and wash the card. Let it dry out for around a week after shaking out as much water as possible.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Chamitae

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Huh... Are you sure about that? Can I use de-ionized water instead of distilled water?

Chamitae

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sure you can use de-ionized water. By the way, my suggestion will only help to remove any conductive material that may have been spilled on the card. It can't get rid of permenent damage. And if you're drying the card in an extremely humid room, it may take longer than a week to dry completely.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>