Right Click in Start/All Programs Open/Explore

When I Right Click in Start/All Programs the Open and Explore options no
longer respond. Dragging and Dropping is enabled. I ran Scan/now. Checked all
the usual Registry suspects. Used ShellExView. Tried Kelly's-Korner fix. Used
Ramesh's Windows XP Troubleshooting site. Yet, I cannot find what is causing
it
--
|8}o

Randy

Is it consistent... What happens when you right click Start in the task bar,
or
My Computer on desktop? Have you tried Classic Start Menu?

"irandolph" wrote:

> When I Right Click in Start/All Programs the Open and Explore options no
> longer respond. Dragging and Dropping is enabled. I ran Scan/now. Checked all
> the usual Registry suspects. Used ShellExView. Tried Kelly's-Korner fix. Used
> Ramesh's Windows XP Troubleshooting site. Yet, I cannot find what is causing
> it
> --
> |8}o
>
> Randy

Thanks, Will.

Ramesh was able to help me.
--

"Will" wrote:

> Is it consistent... What happens when you right click Start in the task bar,
> or
> My Computer on desktop? Have you tried Classic Start Menu?
>

> "irandolph" wrote:
>
> > When I Right Click in Start/All Programs the Open and Explore options no
> > longer respond. Dragging and Dropping is enabled. I ran Scan/now. Checked all
> > the usual Registry suspects. Used ShellExView. Tried Kelly's-Korner fix. Used
> > Ramesh's Windows XP Troubleshooting site. Yet, I cannot find what is causing
> > it
> > --
> > |8}o
> >
> > Randy

Hi irandolph.

In all the cases that I've seen, it's a shell extension blocking the
function. See if disabling ALL the items helps:

3rd party Context Menu Handlers
3rd party Property sheet Handlers
3rd party Icon Handlers

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"irandolph" <irandolph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I Right Click in Start/All Programs the Open and Explore options no
> longer respond. Dragging and Dropping is enabled. I ran Scan/now. Checked
> all
> the usual Registry suspects. Used ShellExView. Tried Kelly's-Korner fix.
> Used
> Ramesh's Windows XP Troubleshooting site. Yet, I cannot find what is
> causing
> it
> --
> |8}o
>
> Randy

*See if disabling ALL of the following items helps:

> Hi irandolph.
>
> In all the cases that I've seen, it's a shell extension blocking the
> function. See if disabling ALL the items helps:
>
> 3rd party Context Menu Handlers
> 3rd party Property sheet Handlers
> 3rd party Icon Handlers
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "irandolph" <irandolph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When I Right Click in Start/All Programs the Open and Explore options no
>> longer respond. Dragging and Dropping is enabled. I ran Scan/now. Checked
>> all
>> the usual Registry suspects. Used ShellExView. Tried Kelly's-Korner fix.
>> Used
>> Ramesh's Windows XP Troubleshooting site. Yet, I cannot find what is
>> causing
>> it
>> --
>> |8}o
>>
>> Randy

Thanks, Ramesh.

Previously, the only third party Content Menu Handler I didn't disable was
from Xdrive. I have had their software for a long time and didn't think they
were the cause. It probably got corrupted.

I appreciate you taking time to help us poor computer users get through
their problems.

--
|8}o

Randy

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> *See if disabling ALL of the following items helps:
>
> 3rd party Context Menu Handlers
> 3rd party Property sheet Handlers
> 3rd party Icon Handlers
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx

> > Hi irandolph.
> >
> > In all the cases that I've seen, it's a shell extension blocking the
> > function. See if disabling ALL the items helps:
> >
> > 3rd party Context Menu Handlers
> > 3rd party Property sheet Handlers
> > 3rd party Icon Handlers
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, MS-MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >
> > Windows XP Troubleshooting
> > http://www.winhelponline.com
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >
> > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
> >

> > "irandolph" <irandolph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> When I Right Click in Start/All Programs the Open and Explore options no
> >> longer respond. Dragging and Dropping is enabled. I ran Scan/now. Checked
> >> all
> >> the usual Registry suspects. Used ShellExView. Tried Kelly's-Korner fix.
> >> Used
> >> Ramesh's Windows XP Troubleshooting site. Yet, I cannot find what is
> >> causing
> >> it
> >> --
> >>
> >> Randy

Very welcome Randy. Thanks for posting back.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

> Thanks, Ramesh.
>
> Previously, the only third party Content Menu Handler I didn't disable was
> from Xdrive. I have had their software for a long time and didn't think
> they
> were the cause. It probably got corrupted.
>
> I appreciate you taking time to help us poor computer users get through
> their problems.
>
> --
> |8}o
>
> Randy
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> *See if disabling ALL of the following items helps:
>>
>> 3rd party Context Menu Handlers
>> 3rd party Property sheet Handlers
>> 3rd party Icon Handlers
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > Hi irandolph.
>> >
>> > In all the cases that I've seen, it's a shell extension blocking the
>> > function. See if disabling ALL the items helps:
>> >
>> > 3rd party Context Menu Handlers
>> > 3rd party Property sheet Handlers
>> > 3rd party Icon Handlers
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> > Windows Shell/User
>> >
>> > Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> > http://www.winhelponline.com
>> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>> >
>> > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>> >

>> > "irandolph" <irandolph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

TRENDING THREADS