Weird Asus card (v9999 GT/TD)

Zodiachus

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2005
I am thinking it's time to upgrade from my trusty 'ol Radeon 9000 to something a bit better. Especially since I am getting a new monitor sometime soon (Viewsonic VP930 most likely).

Anyway, I obviously want to get away as cheap as possible, but I am still looking at Geforce 6800 or 6800GT. Maybe 6600GT? (Not going for ATI this time since I don't like the way they dropped support for older cards in Windows XP64).

Now Asus has a model called V9999 GT/TD which is making me both suspicous and delighted. It is very cheap, like $120/€100 cheaper than other GT cards. It has half the memory as well (128mb) but still. Anyone know anything about this card? Why is it so cheap?

More generally, is now a good time to upgrade or should I wait until Nvidia has released a midrange 7800 card and go for that instead? Should I avoid the Asus card? (Have heard not so positive comments on Asus graphics cards.)

__
"Explain this happening!"
"It must have a 'natural' cause!"
"It must have a 'supernatural' cause!"
^--- Let these two asses be set to grind corn.
- F.P., Chinese Music, Book of Lies.

katmandude

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
ASUSTeK V9999GT/TD - 256 Mo DDR3 TV-Out/DVI - AGP (NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT)

ASUSTeK V9999GT - 128 Mo TV-Out/DVI - AGP (NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT)

here are the two models that are available. I didn't know that Asus made a 128 Mo V9999GT/TD

can you show me the link to the said model? perhaps it's a mistake at the shop. Most shops don't have a clue what they are selling. But there are versions of cards that are limited series. Generally u get special ones with MORE memory , rather than less . I got a 256 Mo model of a V9560/TD from asus which normally has 128 ( checked thru PC wizard ).

normally the V9999GT costs about 307 € and the V9999GT/TD about 400 €. dont forget there's a special model , all in black, instead of the usual blue with a larger heat radiator which is about 450 to 500€ , if i remember well.

AND : the CARD from asus is VERY loud when u are @ full GPU perfs. but, it is significantly (the heat rad) smaller, and lighter, than most of the other cards. Need i say it's a damn well made card??

Huummmmm CPU stuck.....Now where's that wrench? May the light of buddha's wisdom guide you thru the hellish nightmare of W******.... ;)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by katmandude on 09/03/05 05:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Zodiachus

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2005
Hmmm... The memory seems to be not only just 128mb, but also normal DDR as opposed to DDR3 or GDDR3.

Anyway, here's the link to the card on Asus site
<A HREF="http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=V9999GT/TD&langs=01" target="_new">http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=V9999GT/TD&langs=01</A>
(For some reason this link only seems to work in Internet Explorer for me. Weird.)

This might or might not make sense to you since it is in swedish, but this is where I found it:
<A HREF="http://www.shg.biz/link.asp?goto=infobox&varenr=340735" target="_new">http://www.shg.biz/link.asp?goto=infobox&varenr=340735</A>

Thanks for the fast reaction :)

__

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
the card is a vannilla 6800 with its core unlocked to 16 piplines and set to 350mhz, my vannilla 6800 unlocked to 16 and OC easily to 380mhz core and 870 memory, standard memclock rate for that asus is 700mhz

<font color=purple> Dont expect Miracles humans made them. The blind are easily led by the blind </font color=purple>

Zodiachus

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2005
So really, calling it a GT is a bit misleading then.

__

katmandude

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
none of your links works. sorry can't help u with that. stay with main stream cards anyways. dont gaffe like i did and buy some special cheap edition that stunk!

Huummmmm CPU stuck.....Now where's that wrench? May the light of buddha's wisdom guide you thru the hellish nightmare of W******.... ;)

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
extremly misleading a 6800 with a gt core but only 700mhz ddr1 memory its crap.

<font color=purple> Dont expect Miracles humans made them. The blind are easily led by the blind </font color=purple>

Zodiachus

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2005
Really! I didn't think of that.

It's an Athlon64 2800+ with 1GB of RAM, some 200GB HDD and an old Soundblaster Live! (Almost thinking of getting an x-fi later as well. The Live! has seen better years.)

So do you think my system is underpowered for a 6800GT?

__

Zodiachus

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2005
OK thanks for the advice all!

Now, one last important question. I know there's never a good time to buy hardware, but Nvidia has just release the first card from their new series. Does this mean that there's a pricedrop just around the corner for the old (6xxx) series?

__