I think I need help...

I have WIndows XP home edition. I've had it for aout a year and I haven't had
any major problems. But today when I tried signing in to my account, a messae
appeared that there was a c drive failure. I have no idea what to do. I don't
think I will be able to retrieve any of my information that was on there. I
have no idea how to fix it. Can someone help?
8 answers Last reply
More about help

    Meaghan,
    This is exactly why back-ups of your data at regular intervals is so
    important.
    In your case it could be a loose cable to the hard drive, or the power
    supply going to the drive. In your posistion, I would take the computer
    to a local reputable technician, to see what actually is the problem.
    If the hard drive is indeed toast, then data recovery is sometimes
    possable, and always spendy.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Hi Meaghan,

    You need to boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk c: /r from the
    prompt. If this doesn't help, then you may have had a failed hard drive.

    HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

    If you don't have a WinXP CD (common in many preinstalled systems), use the
    boot floppy set:

    Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy

    When running chkdsk, you will be prompted for the location of autochk.exe,
    indicate C:\Windows\system32

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "meaghan" <meaghan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have WIndows XP home edition. I've had it for aout a year and I haven't
    >had
    > any major problems. But today when I tried signing in to my account, a
    > messae
    > appeared that there was a c drive failure. I have no idea what to do. I
    > don't
    > think I will be able to retrieve any of my information that was on there.
    > have no idea how to fix it. Can someone help?

    Hi Meaghan,
    no lectures about backing up! First thing is this error consistant ie does
    it happen every time the system starts? Second how old is the computer? Next
    do you know about defragmenting your hard disk and if so when did you last
    do it. If you can sometimes get into Windows there are things that can be
    tried- if not some measures need to be taken to first safeguard your data on
    the PC. This doesn't always need to be costly a local technician should be
    able to hook another hard disk with an OS to your system using your current
    c drive as a slave. Once in Windows your current drive should show up in
    explorer and your things in My Documents can be moved somewhere safe. Also
    things like chkdsk can be run. A good technician will also have programs
    lite CheckIT Pro and Microscope which run from your A: drive and so don't
    need windows. These are analysis programs that can test the IDE controller
    on your hard disk and also do a wide array of tests to find out if your hard
    disk is working. Going straight to a data recovery company should be avoided
    because your looking at a bill of hundreds of dollars!

    Chelsea

    By your post I think you should definitely take it to a repair shop. You are
    not quailfied to do any repairs to the system. I am supprised you found the
    On / Off switch on the thing !

    Hi Meaghan,
    "no lectures about backing up!" Chelsea.
    That's right, we wouldn't want her to take any precautions before she
    arrives at the mess she's in. (sarcasm takes 3 brain lobes to work)
    Then the next post will be, "Help my data is lost!"
    Then we won't hear a peep from you.
    Just shoot me,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    There's nothing worse than being silly and have everybody telling you how
    silly you have been. Backing up is just not sexy is it? I can't complain
    because I have made a good living recovering un-backed up files over the
    years, but its amazing how many clients think you can get their system back
    exactly as it was before failing without any backup. For me I couldn't do
    without backing up my machines at least once each week. If Meghan wants a
    recommendation get yourself Acronis Trueimage Workstation Edition -which in
    my opinion is better than Symantec Ghost cheaper-more user friendly and
    more innovative by far. Available in the UK for £29, which is less than I
    would charge to do data-recovery for someone.

    Chelsea

    Chelsea,
    Nice reply. Your just not as fatherly as I am. (you know how we are
    about lecturing!) One back-up system you may want to look at;
    'Casper XP' (http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/)
    I use it to clone my raid 0 array _within_ XP, to a removable Ide drive
    I store off-site.
    I know it works, 'cause I accidently pulled the Sata cable out of my
    raid array. After a stern warning by the OS, it found the Ide drive and
    booted.
    I didn't lose much since the last clone, because I also back-up to an
    external Fwire drive.
    Anyway, all of this conversation must have overwhelmed the OP, I doubt
    if you or I will see her back again.
    I'll try to stay off the lecturing circuit.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Hi Treeman,
    I havn't heard of Casper before I'll take a look at it. I also have a
    striped Raid with a couple of Raptor drives so am always looking for robust
    software thats Raid friendly. I like the name they have given to it, surely
    its not a coincidence that they have called it Casper (ie most associated
    with the friendly ghost comic stories+movies) and Symantec Ghost is their
    primary competition. Very clever lol

    Chelsea

Microsoft Windows XP