Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

LCD Screen Replacement Issues

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
November 8, 2012 10:46:06 PM

I had recently cracked my screen and ordered a new one that is supposed to be compatible with my laptop. When I plugged it in and booted it up, I was getting very weird graphics issues. I have confirmed that the screen is compatible with the laptop. I have checked with an external monitor to make sure the graphics and everything else runs fine. The laptop still recognizes the previous screen, but not the new screen.



Now the question I have is if you think this is a problem with the laptop or with the new screen?

I ask this because it will cost me money if it is a problem with the laptop and not with the screen. Thanks for any help.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/o5Sbu

Best solution

a c 248 D Laptop
November 8, 2012 11:41:02 PM

Hi :) 

I own a laptop repair company....

Its the screen (wrong one)

The ONLY trick to replacing a lappy screen is this...

The numbers on the white sticker on BOTH screens must MATCH PRECISELY.... NOT a single number or letter different...

All the best Brett :) 
Share
November 9, 2012 1:06:21 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I own a laptop repair company....

Its the screen (wrong one)

The ONLY trick to replacing a lappy screen is this...

The numbers on the white sticker on BOTH screens must MATCH PRECISELY.... NOT a single number or letter different...

All the best Brett :) 


The company I bought it from swears its an exact match to my laptop model (Dell 1764) and is going to charge me a restocking fee for "ordering the wrong part". Is there anyway I can prove to them that it is not an exact match?
m
0
l
Related resources
November 9, 2012 3:10:29 PM

Brett,

I have a 3 year old netbook from Samsung N120. The lcd screen is notorious for developing horizontal bars that can be temporarily fixed by re-tightening the mounting screws for the monitor. After about 18 months of periodically re-tightening these screws, do you have any familiarity with this or ideas. The problem seems to be caused by the lid pivoting on the same screws as the lcd mounts. Any ideas? I would be happy to fix this comp and void buying another. New screen/ cable?

G
m
0
l
a c 248 D Laptop
November 9, 2012 4:00:24 PM

ytokic said:
The company I bought it from swears its an exact match to my laptop model (Dell 1764) and is going to charge me a restocking fee for "ordering the wrong part". Is there anyway I can prove to them that it is not an exact match?



Hi :) 

Yes, you prove it by WRITING DOWN both sets of numbers on BOTH screens.... I would almost bet my Porsche they ARE different, which means WRONG....

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a c 248 D Laptop
November 9, 2012 4:05:57 PM

ginnai said:
Brett,

I have a 3 year old netbook from Samsung N120. The lcd screen is notorious for developing horizontal bars that can be temporarily fixed by re-tightening the mounting screws for the monitor. After about 18 months of periodically re-tightening these screws, do you have any familiarity with this or ideas. The problem seems to be caused by the lid pivoting on the same screws as the lcd mounts. Any ideas? I would be happy to fix this comp and void buying another. New screen/ cable?

G



Hi :) 

We have seen this before.... unfortunately its not a cheap fix,,,

Let me explain what happening..the hinges are twisting the screen and by tightening the screws you are trying to re-straighten the screen to improve the graphics...

The only answer (definitely not cheap) to totally cure your problem,is....

New Screen

New Top Plastic (the whole top cover)

New hinges

We did it once for a customer, it fixed it but cost hundreds of pounds, and I warned the customer that it WOULD happen again with time (a year or two)



All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
November 9, 2012 4:20:09 PM

Brett,

Thank you for your input. Your comment makes sense with the increasing need to re-tighten. I will be forced to retire the laptop and use it as a stationary
m
0
l
a c 248 D Laptop
November 9, 2012 5:04:06 PM

ginnai said:
Brett,

Thank you for your input. Your comment makes sense with the increasing need to re-tighten. I will be forced to retire the laptop and use it as a stationary



Hi :) 

You realise , you can just plug in an EXTERNAL screen to the VGA connector and it will work fine, although not very mobile lol :) 

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
November 9, 2012 5:32:04 PM

I repaired a few busted screens with screens from laptopscreen.com. Didn't have a prlm with any of them.

I also experienced a prlm with a few particular models of Lenovo's with the hinge issue, seemed to be a design flaw, as it affected the whole line. the position of the hinge was what told the laptop the screen was closed. This was faulty, causing the system to think the screen was closed during use, sending it into sleep or hibernation... So, you had to position the screen in just the right angle to prevent it, and sometimes, if you elevated the left side of the laptop (I would sometimes stick a book under them. lol), it would also prevent it. The only workaround i found was to disable the settings that would take place when the screen closes (sleep, hibernation, auto-off screen) and it typically worked, as mouse and keyboard would still give input.
m
0
l
November 19, 2012 4:46:58 AM

Best answer selected by ytokic.
m
0
l
!