Sign in with
Your question

Which Linux to get?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
September 2, 2003 3:13:12 PM

Hi.I am looking to put a version of linux on my parents' computer.I am mainly looking to get them some sort of linux because of the cheap price of doing so compared to windows.They are not overly computer literate but are used to using windows based systems for surfing the net,word processing etc.Which OS would be the best option for them?I have read that Lindows 4.0 would be ideal but i haven't been able to find it for sale in the UK and so i have been looking mainly at SuSE 8.2 etc.Please bear in mind that though i am computer literate myself, i have never installed a linux OS before.
Just FYI, their computer is an 1100 Duron system with 256mb pc133.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

More about : linux

September 2, 2003 4:45:56 PM

This one has been covered more than once in the archives, but we'll do it again I guess... Mandrake 9.2, RedHat 9, SuSE 8.2. All will do fine.

I'm liking RedHat at the moment, but that's just me. SuSE 8.2 will be perfectly good as well. If you've been checking it out and like what you see then go for it.

Only hiccup I can see there is Intenet access. If they use an internal PCI win-modem, there's a very good chance it won't work under Linux. External modems and NIC connected dsl/cable boxes are fine. I think some USB dsl/cable modems are ok too.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>
!