Windows 7 AHCI Questions

Last response: in Windows 7
July 8, 2010 5:38:00 AM

Well, what I want to are the following (I will be using Windows 7 Ultimate):

What exactly does AHCI do?
How do you turn it on?
Will it affect performace?
Is there any positives/negatives to it?
Will it change the Windows Experience Index of SATA 3.0/6.0 HDDs from the limit of 5.9 to the actual score if you activate it?
Thanks?

More about : windows ahci questions

July 9, 2010 7:44:07 AM

AHCI is Advanced Host Controller Interface. It allows you to set drives in a RAID as well as using NQC<NQC (Not Quite C) is a programming language for several LEGO MINDSTORMS products including the RCX, CyberMaster, and Scout.> as well as Hot Swapping drives
Quote:
AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) enables native command queuing and hot-plugging through SATA host controllers (Serial-ATA) for your hard drives.

You turn it on in your BIOS
If you intend to do a RAID array through your motherboard, yes that will improve performance

Quote:
But an issue with AHCI is that if you install the OS without enabling AHCI in the BIOS, enabling it after installation will render your OS unusable. This is because Windows disable the AHCI driver since it is not needed during the installation.

Unless you set up your drives in a RAID you most likely won't increase your Windows Experience Index higher than a 5.9. Conversely, when I installed my 40 GB SSD my WEI raised to 7.2

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 9, 2010 2:40:20 PM

If you installed in IDE mode - likely if you bought an OEM system or built it yourself using the defaults - you will have to enable the AHCI driver before you can make the switch in the Bios.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-...

Word of Warning: If this doesn't work, you could be forced to reinstall. BACK UP YO STUFF!!
m
l
Related resources
July 9, 2010 6:33:52 PM

that kind of annoys me a bit because my hard drive will be the lowest scored component in my system. Thanks for the help!
m
l
July 9, 2010 6:36:17 PM

Honestly dude, no one on here, or any other CPU site puts any stock in WEI. We go off 3dMark and other real benchmarks that can accurately quantify our rigs value.

m
l
July 10, 2010 2:52:55 AM

Yeah I know but I am more familiar with WEI and it has a ceiling of 7.9.
m
l
July 10, 2010 3:24:08 AM

Well you have to understand that when Win7 was released SSD was alot more "mainstream" than when Win Vista was released. Therefore a simple 7200 HDD won't score.

It's a sliding scale really. You have to get the expensive stuff to get a higher score is what it boils down to. I mean would you expect an ATI 4670 to get a high score? Neither would I.
m
l
!