Cd Help

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi: My Pc is 3 years old. Compaq. All of a sudden the PC does not show the
CD and DVD on the control panel. Why did this hardware just dissapear?
Thanks for your help.

Joan
2 answers Last reply
More about help
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Joan and Alan" <jraynes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:Kcfve.115956$VH2.11530@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
    > Hi: My Pc is 3 years old. Compaq. All of a sudden the PC does not show the
    > CD and DVD on the control panel. Why did this hardware just dissapear?
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Joan

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You may want to test by downloading the latest drivers from the hardware's
    Vendor

    Update Microsoft Windows Updates

    Start | Shutdown

    Unplug the "Problem" hardware, scanner, printer, camera, etc. (after the PC
    is off and the power cable unplugged)

    Reboot into Safe Mode

    Use control panel to remove the "Problem" hardware's drivers / software

    Control Panel | System Properties | Device manager | to remove the "Problem"
    hardware

    Reboot into Normal Mode

    Reinstall the latest drivers / software for your hardware.

    Start | Shutdown

    Re-plug the cables into the hardware
    Reboot into normal mode

    The Windows ME or XP OS (Operating System) should install the correct
    drivers

    On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the
    Troubleshooting Wizard.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310123#XSLTH3542121122120121120120

    On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the
    troubleshooting wizard.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp

    You will find much more info at:

    (316529) CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is
    Not Recognized As a Recordable Device
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316529

    (324129) HOW TO: Troubleshoot Issues
    That Occur When You Write Data to a CD-R
    or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129
    =======================================
    "Imagination...is the irrepressible revolutionist."
    Regards, Gary 'Doc' Adams @ LsuEdu @ Msn.com
    Louisiana @ 314.479.8201
    http://military.accaw.org/adams
    ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~

    "Joan and Alan" <jraynes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Hi: My Pc is 3 years old. Compaq. All of a sudden the PC does not show the
    > CD and DVD on the control panel. Why did this hardware just dissapear?
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Joan

Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP