Cd Help

June 25, 2005 8:00:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi: My Pc is 3 years old. Compaq. All of a sudden the PC does not show the
CD and DVD on the control panel. Why did this hardware just dissapear?
Thanks for your help.

Joan

More about : question

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 8:00:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Joan and Alan" <jraynes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:Kcfve.115956$VH2.11530@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> Hi: My Pc is 3 years old. Compaq. All of a sudden the PC does not show the
> CD and DVD on the control panel. Why did this hardware just dissapear?
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Joan

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 8:00:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You may want to test by downloading the latest drivers from the hardware's
Vendor

Update Microsoft Windows Updates

Start | Shutdown

Unplug the "Problem" hardware, scanner, printer, camera, etc. (after the PC
is off and the power cable unplugged)

Reboot into Safe Mode

Use control panel to remove the "Problem" hardware's drivers / software

Control Panel | System Properties | Device manager | to remove the "Problem"
hardware

Reboot into Normal Mode

Reinstall the latest drivers / software for your hardware.

Start | Shutdown

Re-plug the cables into the hardware
Reboot into normal mode

The Windows ME or XP OS (Operating System) should install the correct
drivers

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the
Troubleshooting Wizard.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310123#XSLTH3542121122120121120120

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the
troubleshooting wizard.

You will find much more info at:

(316529) CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is
Not Recognized As a Recordable Device
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316529

(324129) HOW TO: Troubleshoot Issues
That Occur When You Write Data to a CD-R
or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129
"Imagination...is the irrepressible revolutionist."
Regards, Gary 'Doc' Adams @ LsuEdu @ Msn.com
Louisiana @ 314.479.8201
http://military.accaw.org/adams
~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~