G

Hi all,

I have just recently connected to an ADSL broadband provider with an EZ connect dual speed ethernet converter using an Alcatel Speed touch Pro POTS network terminator (Manufactured by SMC) 10 Base T/MDI-X. I do not know much about it at all. Operating system -W2K Pro.

Questions:

1. How can I optimize this thing to get the most out of it?

2. I am using the USB option and have a network card option available, which would be better?

Thanks for any replies.

If it aint broke don't fix it, just tweak it instead!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if you got a slow computer go with the nic, if your computer is fast enough you dont have to worry about it. assuming you had the company install it, the tech just used usb cause its easyer to setup (dont have to take the cover off). they get payed by how many customers they can get to in a day.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

G

Puter is plenty fast enough and I installed it myself.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
ought to be fine though, if you have enough spare time you could run some bench marks. see if there is a difference between the usb and ethernet connection, i would be interested in the results too.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

G

So nothing really more to do then, what about setting up a manual DNS etc as I have the servers tip on that?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
go to the dns snap in, click action, new zone and follow the wizard, do this of course for both forward and reverse lookup zones.
as asked, why are you setting up dns? do you plan on setting up a domain (have a domain at home- very handy if a few members of the family have pc's on the lan

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

G

Ok,
I am on a lan, the tech guy was saying if I manually insert an IP and dns address under Internet protocol TCP/IP proerties I will increase my access speed somehow.

G

I think he also mentioned less amount of hops or ping loss, ya think the tech was having a lonely quiet night maybe.heh.

I did a test somewhere and all I can remember is it said something about getting to hop 12 ok and not 13, IP packet loss or something I dunno.

So just leave the sucker at Automatic and dont worry about it, is this the best I can hope for?
------------

Moved to the countryside and get stuck with ADSL or dial-up, I want my cable broadband back... :frown: .... but still better than dial up shite.

Thanks.... :cool:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
if you set the IP manually, then MAYBE you will boot quicker (certainly will if you dont have a dhcp server as it will look for one) but thats about it.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

G

Not worth worrying about huh?

I was doing some reading on ADSL and how things like line length after point of entry, bad filters, line brown out, fluro lights, other phones, and a whole host of silly things can effect the service. I will go and unplug all phones turn of the lights and do a test without trippin over the black cat. :wink:
It was also mentioned its a bit more complicated for the tech's to problem solve and understand apparently, oh well.

G

Thanks to jihiggsand Calv for your input. Nice to have this information so close at hand.