Sign in with
Your question

Next step for a helpdesk role?

Last response: in Business Computing
August 29, 2012 4:07:07 PM

Hello,

Good day i am new here in tom's hardware but i am reading some of the articles for 6 years now and i learned a lot. I am currently a Helpdesk Technician for almost 3 years now and my previous jobs was a technical support representative from 2 different international contact centers.

Is it ok now to move to a different role or wait for a little longer?

all i have is my experience and attending some trainings but the only certificate that i have is a dell resolution expert.

thanks and regards
Gene

More about : step helpdesk role

August 29, 2012 4:22:05 PM

Upward mobility is a good thing. Other than what you listed here, what certifications, training, education, experience, etc do you have? All of this matters in a resume and application. And, are other opportunities available where you are now or would like to move to?

Those are the considerations you should apply to this discussion.

BTW, welcome to Tom's Forums. This is, indeed, one of the premiere sites on the greater 'Net to exchange tech ideas and solve problems. You won't find better anywhere.

Good luck!
August 29, 2012 4:48:01 PM

I have been in the business 15+ years. What I would recommend for you is an A+ cert. While it is a crap certification IMO it will help you get your foot in the door of positions where the hiring manager are technically clueless and are only looking at certifications. MCSE is another good one but is expensive and lengthy. One thing to remember, you don't always need to know everything but you do need to know how to find the answers. Good luck.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 29, 2012 5:31:58 PM

IMHO experience is the winner, I've seen plenty of "paper" MCSEs and CCNAs etc and my experience of graduates with computer degrees is while they may be fresh out of Uni and have passed their exams, they know very little when it comes to dealing with the day to day issues of corporate systems in the real world.

But experience and relevant industry certifications are going to get you to the interviews.

What sort of role are you looking to move into? Higher level support - 3rd Line? Network/Systems admin? Work out what you want to do and then see what certifications are relevant.

Like price_th said, A+ and other entry level certs from CompTIA will get you noticed in a pile of applications, they are reasonably easy to study for and pass. If you're looking to work with MS products then an MCTS or MCDST may be worth looking at for starters and the go on to MCITP in time once you have more experience..
August 29, 2012 5:40:51 PM

A+ is crap because so few companies do break/fix like they did in the early 2000.

Focus on Network+ and Security+ for your beginner certs. CISSP if you want to really focus on security.
August 29, 2012 5:40:57 PM

hello,

Thanks for the feedback and warm welcome, yes i forgot to put in my goal actually my focus is in getting in the cybersecurity path. as of now i am still studying A+ 2009 and network+ 2009 via e-learning provided by my current company but haven't taken the exam.

planning to move to being a system admin level 1 role then shift to security administrator. should i go directly to security administrator because my focus is on the cyber security path?

thanks
Gene
August 29, 2012 5:53:14 PM

thank you very much for this insight's guys appreciated it.

i will finish network+ first.

thanks
!