USR wireless routers - recommend?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2004 12:13:55 AM

Hi all,

Looking at a USR 802.11g wireless router / card package at Sam's Club for
about $94. Not sure of the USR model numbers. Has anyone here seen this and
is it a good buy for the money? I was kind of wanting to go Linksys for my
next 802.11g wireless router / card package, but the USR package is about
$50 cheaper. Comments?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2004 6:01:26 AM

U.S. Robotics - USR8054 - 100Mbps 802.11g Wireless Turbo Router after rebate
for $29.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

Not sure on the card that you want.
I think MicroCenter (4/25/2004) has/had some SMC wireless 11g router $49.99
(after rebate) and adapters $39.99 (after rebate) on sale now. I wonder if
they truly backup their Lifetime warrantees. ;-)
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?pro...
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?pro...

I think that prices are continuing to drop on these components. :-)
Try to find a company that people recommend and has what you want!

I am using the wireless D-Link 11g with their PCMCIA adapter with success.
Also connecting to it with a Gigafast USB adapter too.
My parents are using a SMC 11b system.

later,
dave

"honda929" <honda929@soundesign.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Looking at a USR 802.11g wireless router / card package at Sam's Club for
> about $94. Not sure of the USR model numbers. Has anyone here seen this
and
> is it a good buy for the money? I was kind of wanting to go Linksys for my
> next 802.11g wireless router / card package, but the USR package is about
> $50 cheaper. Comments?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2004 6:01:27 AM

Four wireless DSL routers reviewed in this Sunday's Washington Post. You'll
have to register to read the article. http://www.washingtonpost.com/
Related resources
April 26, 2004 4:09:05 PM

honda929 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Looking at a USR 802.11g wireless router / card package at Sam's Club for
> about $94. Not sure of the USR model numbers. Has anyone here seen this and
> is it a good buy for the money? I was kind of wanting to go Linksys for my
> next 802.11g wireless router / card package, but the USR package is about
> $50 cheaper. Comments?
>
> Thanks

Bottom line: If all you want to do is a basic network at home for
internet browsing only then the USR package is a great deal.

However:
I was using that same package from Sam's. If you need to do any port
forwarding I would recommend Linksys. I still use the USR cards but I
got a Linksys WRT54GS. Had the routing set up in less than 20 minutes.

I could never get the USR8054 to properly forward to my FTP server, and
I couldn't use vpn and connect to a terminal server.

There is a new firmware that may fix some of these problems but I
haven't installed it yet. Many people had other problems after the
firmware upgrade.

Like most technical support now days, USR's tech. support is terrible.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2004 7:23:29 PM

I have a pretty extensive knowledge of wireless and have played with
EVERY product you can imagine. What is MY favorite? Any of the USR
or DLINK 22MB products, upgraded to the 54x speed. They are GREAT!

In all, the chipset used by USR is the finest - that I can find.
Range, signal strength - they are great.

Try USR. You'll be glad you did.

"dave AKA vwdoc1" <NO_vwdoc1_SPAM_@hotmail.com_PLEASE> wrote in message news:<W3_ic.12316$Y9.7236@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
> U.S. Robotics - USR8054 - 100Mbps 802.11g Wireless Turbo Router after rebate
> for $29.99
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
>
> Not sure on the card that you want.
> I think MicroCenter (4/25/2004) has/had some SMC wireless 11g router $49.99
> (after rebate) and adapters $39.99 (after rebate) on sale now. I wonder if
> they truly backup their Lifetime warrantees. ;-)
> http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?pro...
> http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?pro...
>
> I think that prices are continuing to drop on these components. :-)
> Try to find a company that people recommend and has what you want!
>
> I am using the wireless D-Link 11g with their PCMCIA adapter with success.
> Also connecting to it with a Gigafast USB adapter too.
> My parents are using a SMC 11b system.
>
> later,
> dave
>

> "honda929" <honda929@soundesign.net> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Looking at a USR 802.11g wireless router / card package at Sam's Club for
> > about $94. Not sure of the USR model numbers. Has anyone here seen this
> and
> > is it a good buy for the money? I was kind of wanting to go Linksys for my
> > next 802.11g wireless router / card package, but the USR package is about
> > $50 cheaper. Comments?
> >
> > Thanks

April 27, 2004 3:22:59 AM

I made the mistake of buying a USR 8054 router. It's okay if you don't mind
it locking up every day or so!
I was never more dissapointed in a product in my life. After getting a
replacement from USR and it still not working I cut my loses and got a 3COM.
The 3COM works great. Stay away from USR and get a 3COM, it works just
fine.
I use to love USR modems. Too bad the company went to hell.

Tony

"honda929" <honda929@soundesign.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Looking at a USR 802.11g wireless router / card package at Sam's Club for
> about $94. Not sure of the USR model numbers. Has anyone here seen this
and
> is it a good buy for the money? I was kind of wanting to go Linksys for my
> next 802.11g wireless router / card package, but the USR package is about
> $50 cheaper. Comments?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 27, 2004 4:07:46 AM

Tony <tonyreo@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I use to love USR modems. Too bad the company went to hell.

You mean after USR was bought by 3Com, or after it was spun off?
April 27, 2004 4:56:27 AM

LRawn <me@lonnypaul.com> wrote:

> Try USR. You'll be glad you did.

Except if you ever need their helpdesk. I received last week their
answer to several problems. I mailed those problems 3(!!!) months ago!

2 other big negatives:

- resetbutton does not function correct
- MACfiltering is also on the wired side.
--
Groeten,

Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)
April 28, 2004 3:50:31 PM

LRawn wrote:
> I have a pretty extensive knowledge of wireless and have played with
> EVERY product you can imagine. What is MY favorite? Any of the USR
> or DLINK 22MB products, upgraded to the 54x speed. They are GREAT!
>
> In all, the chipset used by USR is the finest - that I can find.
> Range, signal strength - they are great.
>
> Try USR. You'll be glad you did.
>

> "dave AKA vwdoc1" <NO_vwdoc1_SPAM_@hotmail.com_PLEASE> wrote in message news:<W3_ic.12316$Y9.7236@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
>
>>U.S. Robotics - USR8054 - 100Mbps 802.11g Wireless Turbo Router after rebate
>>for $29.99
>>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
>>
>>Not sure on the card that you want.
>>I think MicroCenter (4/25/2004) has/had some SMC wireless 11g router $49.99
>>(after rebate) and adapters $39.99 (after rebate) on sale now. I wonder if
>>they truly backup their Lifetime warrantees. ;-)
>>http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?pro...
>>http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?pro...
>>
>>I think that prices are continuing to drop on these components. :-)
>>Try to find a company that people recommend and has what you want!
>>
>>I am using the wireless D-Link 11g with their PCMCIA adapter with success.
>>Also connecting to it with a Gigafast USB adapter too.
>>My parents are using a SMC 11b system.
>>
>>later,
>>dave
>>

>>"honda929" <honda929@soundesign.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>Looking at a USR 802.11g wireless router / card package at Sam's Club for
>>>about $94. Not sure of the USR model numbers. Has anyone here seen this
>>
>> and
>>
>>>is it a good buy for the money? I was kind of wanting to go Linksys for my
>>>next 802.11g wireless router / card package, but the USR package is about
>>>$50 cheaper. Comments?
>>>
>>>Thanks

The chip the USR uses is very good. The problem is the software and
support that comes with the USR chip is seriously lacking.

The USR 8054 worked great for me for basic use. I couldn't get the port
forwarding or upnp to work properly though. So if you won't need those
features then it is great.

I personally have had great luck with the linksys. I would say there
are probably more people with linksys than any other brand, so there are
more people that can help.
!