Help & Support Centre

When I click on a Hyperlink or a Related topics link in the Help & Support
Centre, I get a 'Cannot display the page' error. I managed to find the
following advice in WinXPTutor's XP Resources:

This happens if the Active Scripting option is disabled for the My Computer
Zone. Follow these steps to disable the restriction.

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0

In the right-pane, double-click the value 1400 and change it's value to 0

The value 1400 corresponds to Active Scripting

Repeat the same in this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0

However, when I checked, both of these keys already had the value 0.

Any ideas what I can do now?
5 answers Last reply
More about help support centre

    Walt,

    Clearing the TIF helps in some cases.

    Clear the Temporary Internet Files
    -----------------------------------

    Close all Internet Explorer windows
    Type INETCPL.CPL in Start, Run dialog
    Click the Delete Files button
    Select Delete all offline content and click OK
    Click OK to close the dialog

    Clear the contents of the TEMP folder
    --------------------------------------
    Type %TEMP% in Start, Run dialog
    Select all files in the Temp folder and delete them
    Some files in the TEMP folder may be in use. If so, ignore the error and
    continue deleting the remaining files in that folder.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message
    > When I click on a Hyperlink or a Related topics link in the Help & Support
    > Centre, I get a 'Cannot display the page' error. I managed to find the
    > following advice in WinXPTutor's XP Resources:
    >
    > This happens if the Active Scripting option is disabled for the My
    > Computer Zone. Follow these steps to disable the restriction.
    >
    > Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    > Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0
    >
    > In the right-pane, double-click the value 1400 and change it's value to 0
    >
    > The value 1400 corresponds to Active Scripting
    >
    > Repeat the same in this registry key:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    > Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0
    >
    > However, when I checked, both of these keys already had the value 0.
    >
    > Any ideas what I can do now?

    Ramesh

    I did all that but still the same problem. Can I try anything else? I did an
    SCANNOW earlier on as well but that made no difference either.

    Walt

    > Walt,
    >
    > Clearing the TIF helps in some cases.
    >
    > Clear the Temporary Internet Files
    > -----------------------------------
    >
    > Close all Internet Explorer windows
    > Type INETCPL.CPL in Start, Run dialog
    > Click the Delete Files button
    > Select Delete all offline content and click OK
    > Click OK to close the dialog
    >
    > Clear the contents of the TEMP folder
    > --------------------------------------
    > Type %TEMP% in Start, Run dialog
    > Select all files in the Temp folder and delete them
    > Some files in the TEMP folder may be in use. If so, ignore the error and
    > continue deleting the remaining files in that folder.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message
    >> When I click on a Hyperlink or a Related topics link in the Help &
    >> Support Centre, I get a 'Cannot display the page' error. I managed to
    >> find the following advice in WinXPTutor's XP Resources:
    >>
    >> This happens if the Active Scripting option is disabled for the My
    >> Computer Zone. Follow these steps to disable the restriction.
    >>
    >> Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    >> Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0
    >>
    >> In the right-pane, double-click the value 1400 and change it's value to 0
    >>
    >> The value 1400 corresponds to Active Scripting
    >>
    >> Repeat the same in this registry key:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    >> Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0
    >>
    >> However, when I checked, both of these keys already had the value 0.
    >>
    >> Any ideas what I can do now?

    Walt,

    Clearing the TIF is often overlooked and that's the reason I included that
    in my reply. In *many* cases, clearing the TIF has solved Help and Support
    issues. As you've already tried that and the problem persists, let me know
    the exact page you're trying to view in Help Center, and the navigation path
    that you use. Or, you're usng a direct link to a Help document using hcp:
    protocol?

    --

    > Ramesh
    >
    > I did all that but still the same problem. Can I try anything else? I did
    > an SCANNOW earlier on as well but that made no difference either.
    >
    > Walt

    >> Walt,

    Ramesh,

    I'm on the page about making a password reset disk which I got to in Help
    Center itself. It is when I click on the link to User Accounts that I get
    the error message, although I can get to User Accounts without problems in
    the Control Panel. Incidentally, the Microsoft Windows graphic at the top of
    the page is not being reproduced--there's only a red cross. However, when I
    click on Related Topics on any page I also get the error message.

    Thank you for your continued interest.

    Walt

    > Walt,
    >
    > Clearing the TIF is often overlooked and that's the reason I included that
    > in my reply. In *many* cases, clearing the TIF has solved Help and Support
    > issues. As you've already tried that and the problem persists, let me know
    > the exact page you're trying to view in Help Center, and the navigation
    > path that you use. Or, you're usng a direct link to a Help document using
    > hcp: protocol?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message
    >> Ramesh
    >>
    >> I did all that but still the same problem. Can I try anything else? I did
    >> an SCANNOW earlier on as well but that made no difference either.
    >>
    >> Walt
    >>

    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Walt,

    Walt,

    Will try to repro the problem. Meanwhile, try clearing the TIF (again) with
    the "Delete offline..." check box. Offline files are the ones which are
    stored by Help Center / OE etc. Full info at:

    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    --

    > Ramesh,
    >
    > I'm on the page about making a password reset disk which I got to in Help
    > Center itself. It is when I click on the link to User Accounts that I get
    > the error message, although I can get to User Accounts without problems in
    > the Control Panel. Incidentally, the Microsoft Windows graphic at the top
    > of the page is not being reproduced--there's only a red cross. However,
    > when I click on Related Topics on any page I also get the error message.
    >
    > Thank you for your continued interest.
    >
    > Walt

    >> Walt,
    >>
    >> Clearing the TIF is often overlooked and that's the reason I included
    >> that in my reply. In *many* cases, clearing the TIF has solved Help and
    >> Support issues. As you've already tried that and the problem persists,
    >> let me know the exact page you're trying to view in Help Center, and the
    >> navigation path that you use. Or, you're usng a direct link to a Help
    >> document using hcp: protocol?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message
    >>> Ramesh
    >>>
    >>> I did all that but still the same problem. Can I try anything else? I
    >>> did an SCANNOW earlier on as well but that made no difference either.
    >>>
    >>> Walt
    >>>

    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

Support Microsoft Windows XP