Help & Support Centre

June 25, 2005 9:07:31 PM

When I click on a Hyperlink or a Related topics link in the Help & Support
Centre, I get a 'Cannot display the page' error. I managed to find the
following advice in WinXPTutor's XP Resources:

This happens if the Active Scripting option is disabled for the My Computer
Zone. Follow these steps to disable the restriction.

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0

In the right-pane, double-click the value 1400 and change it's value to 0

The value 1400 corresponds to Active Scripting

Repeat the same in this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0

However, when I checked, both of these keys already had the value 0.

Any ideas what I can do now?

More about : support centre

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:28:39 AM

Walt,

Clearing the TIF helps in some cases.

Clear the Temporary Internet Files
-----------------------------------

Close all Internet Explorer windows
Type INETCPL.CPL in Start, Run dialog
Click the Delete Files button
Select Delete all offline content and click OK
Click OK to close the dialog

Clear the contents of the TEMP folder
--------------------------------------
Type %TEMP% in Start, Run dialog
Select all files in the Temp folder and delete them
Some files in the TEMP folder may be in use. If so, ignore the error and
continue deleting the remaining files in that folder.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

"Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message
> When I click on a Hyperlink or a Related topics link in the Help & Support
> Centre, I get a 'Cannot display the page' error. I managed to find the
> following advice in WinXPTutor's XP Resources:
>
> This happens if the Active Scripting option is disabled for the My
> Computer Zone. Follow these steps to disable the restriction.
>
> Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
> Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0
>
> In the right-pane, double-click the value 1400 and change it's value to 0
>
> The value 1400 corresponds to Active Scripting
>
> Repeat the same in this registry key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
> Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0
>
> However, when I checked, both of these keys already had the value 0.
>
> Any ideas what I can do now?

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:28:40 AM

Ramesh

I did all that but still the same problem. Can I try anything else? I did an
SCANNOW earlier on as well but that made no difference either.

Walt

> Walt,
>
> Clearing the TIF helps in some cases.
>
> Clear the Temporary Internet Files
> -----------------------------------
>
> Close all Internet Explorer windows
> Type INETCPL.CPL in Start, Run dialog
> Click the Delete Files button
> Select Delete all offline content and click OK
> Click OK to close the dialog
>
> Clear the contents of the TEMP folder
> --------------------------------------
> Type %TEMP% in Start, Run dialog
> Select all files in the Temp folder and delete them
> Some files in the TEMP folder may be in use. If so, ignore the error and
> continue deleting the remaining files in that folder.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>

> "Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message
>> When I click on a Hyperlink or a Related topics link in the Help &
>> Support Centre, I get a 'Cannot display the page' error. I managed to
>> find the following advice in WinXPTutor's XP Resources:
>>
>> This happens if the Active Scripting option is disabled for the My
>> Computer Zone. Follow these steps to disable the restriction.
>>
>> Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
>> Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0
>>
>> In the right-pane, double-click the value 1400 and change it's value to 0
>>
>> The value 1400 corresponds to Active Scripting
>>
>> Repeat the same in this registry key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
>> Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0
>>
>> However, when I checked, both of these keys already had the value 0.
>>
>> Any ideas what I can do now?

June 26, 2005 4:14:52 AM

Walt,

Clearing the TIF is often overlooked and that's the reason I included that
in my reply. In *many* cases, clearing the TIF has solved Help and Support
issues. As you've already tried that and the problem persists, let me know
the exact page you're trying to view in Help Center, and the navigation path
that you use. Or, you're usng a direct link to a Help document using hcp:
protocol?

--

news:o 1eduTbeFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Ramesh
>
> I did all that but still the same problem. Can I try anything else? I did
> an SCANNOW earlier on as well but that made no difference either.
>
> Walt

>> Walt,

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 4:14:53 AM

Ramesh,

I'm on the page about making a password reset disk which I got to in Help
Center itself. It is when I click on the link to User Accounts that I get
the error message, although I can get to User Accounts without problems in
the Control Panel. Incidentally, the Microsoft Windows graphic at the top of
the page is not being reproduced--there's only a red cross. However, when I
click on Related Topics on any page I also get the error message.

Thank you for your continued interest.

Walt

> Walt,
>
> Clearing the TIF is often overlooked and that's the reason I included that
> in my reply. In *many* cases, clearing the TIF has solved Help and Support
> issues. As you've already tried that and the problem persists, let me know
> the exact page you're trying to view in Help Center, and the navigation
> path that you use. Or, you're usng a direct link to a Help document using
> hcp: protocol?
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>

> "Walt G" <anon@universe.com> wrote in message
> news:o 1eduTbeFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Ramesh
>>
>> I did all that but still the same problem. Can I try anything else? I did
>> an SCANNOW earlier on as well but that made no difference either.
>>
>> Walt
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Walt,

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:40:48 PM

Walt,

Will try to repro the problem. Meanwhile, try clearing the TIF (again) with
the "Delete offline..." check box. Offline files are the ones which are
stored by Help Center / OE etc. Full info at:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

--

!