Re-Installing XP, Keeping ones Data and former Progs

I am having a nasty sound card/software problem where my microphone
is not being recognized by any of the programs that require it. It
just stopped working after installing a voice recognition software.
This problem is being addressed at a snails pace by the software maker
and my computer manufacturer's support team. Two weeks and many, many
hours have passed and I still cannot record via the mic (headset
actually). Re-installing drivers and checking settings has been done
over and over. The mic has been replaced and nothing. I am leary of
sending in the machine, a laptop, for fear the manufacturer will just
wipe everything clean and reinstall the OS.
Can I reinstall Windows XP Home edition and keep my progs and
settings the way one could in Win98? If so are there any gotchas that
I should be aware of. I have the original installation disk but lack
much experience re-installing OSs. Is there another angle on this?
Thanks for any help with this.

Copernicus wrote:
> I am having a nasty sound card/software problem where my microphone
> is not being recognized by any of the programs that require it. It
> just stopped working after installing a voice recognition software.
> This problem is being addressed at a snails pace by the software maker
> and my computer manufacturer's support team. Two weeks and many, many
> hours have passed and I still cannot record via the mic (headset
> actually). Re-installing drivers and checking settings has been done
> over and over. The mic has been replaced and nothing. I am leary of
> sending in the machine, a laptop, for fear the manufacturer will just
> wipe everything clean and reinstall the OS.
> Can I reinstall Windows XP Home edition and keep my progs and
> settings the way one could in Win98? If so are there any gotchas that
> I should be aware of. I have the original installation disk but lack
> much experience re-installing OSs. Is there another angle on this?
> Thanks for any help with this.

Yes, it's possible to perform a repair installation, a.k.a. an in-place
upgrade. You will need to use a installation CD that's been
slip-streamed with the same Service Pack as is currently installed. You
will also then need to re-install any subsequent hotfixes.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH