Start Menu Recent Programs Missing

The recently used programs section of the start menu has gone missing. I can
only view the quick start programs at the top or the "Programs menu" at the
bottom. I've checked to make sure the "number of programs on start menu" is
set to more than 1.

Please, any help is appericiated.
3 answers Last reply
More about start menu recent programs missing

    Disable the two policies namely NoInstrumentation and
    NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList. See MS article Q292504 for more information -
    292504 - Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP

    Start Menu Most Frequently Used programs (MFU) list is empty:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmfu.htm

    Additional Note: Personalized Favorites feature in Internet Explorer
    does not work if NoInstrumentation Policy is turned ON.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "movieplace" <movieplace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The recently used programs section of the start menu has gone missing. I
    > can
    > only view the quick start programs at the top or the "Programs menu" at
    > the
    > bottom. I've checked to make sure the "number of programs on start menu"
    > is
    > set to more than 1.
    >
    > Please, any help is appericiated.

    Thank you for your response, unfortunately my REGISTRY did not contain any
    reference to these policies. I red the entire article and nothing seemed to
    match.

    I have added these two, but since both are to be disabled they may have no
    effect, but I'm rebooting now to see anyway.

    Thank you again

    Phil

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Disable the two policies namely NoInstrumentation and
    > NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList. See MS article Q292504 for more information -
    > 292504 - Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP
    >
    > Start Menu Most Frequently Used programs (MFU) list is empty:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmfu.htm
    >
    > Additional Note: Personalized Favorites feature in Internet Explorer
    > does not work if NoInstrumentation Policy is turned ON.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "movieplace" <movieplace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The recently used programs section of the start menu has gone missing. I
    > > can
    > > only view the quick start programs at the top or the "Programs menu" at
    > > the
    > > bottom. I've checked to make sure the "number of programs on start menu"
    > > is
    > > set to more than 1.
    > >
    > > Please, any help is appericiated.

    Creating the reg value is not required. BTW, have you checked under both
    HKCU and HKLM?

    --

    > Thank you for your response, unfortunately my REGISTRY did not contain any
    > reference to these policies. I red the entire article and nothing seemed
    > match.
    >
    > I have added these two, but since both are to be disabled they may have no
    > effect, but I'm rebooting now to see anyway.
    >
    > Thank you again
    >
    > Phil
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Disable the two policies namely NoInstrumentation and
    >> NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList. See MS article Q292504 for more information -
    >> 292504 - Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP
    >>
    >> Start Menu Most Frequently Used programs (MFU) list is empty:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmfu.htm
    >>
    >> Additional Note: Personalized Favorites feature in Internet Explorer
    >> does not work if NoInstrumentation Policy is turned ON.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "movieplace" <movieplace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The recently used programs section of the start menu has gone missing.
    >> > can
    >> > only view the quick start programs at the top or the "Programs menu" at
    >> > the
    >> > bottom. I've checked to make sure the "number of programs on start
    >> > menu"
    >> > is
    >> > set to more than 1.
    >> >
    >> > Please, any help is appericiated.