Start Menu Recent Programs Missing

The recently used programs section of the start menu has gone missing. I can
only view the quick start programs at the top or the "Programs menu" at the
bottom. I've checked to make sure the "number of programs on start menu" is
set to more than 1.

Please, any help is appericiated.

Disable the two policies namely NoInstrumentation and
NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList. See MS article Q292504 for more information -
292504 - Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP

Start Menu Most Frequently Used programs (MFU) list is empty:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmfu.htm

Additional Note: Personalized Favorites feature in Internet Explorer
does not work if NoInstrumentation Policy is turned ON.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"movieplace" <movieplace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The recently used programs section of the start menu has gone missing. I
> can
> only view the quick start programs at the top or the "Programs menu" at
> the
> bottom. I've checked to make sure the "number of programs on start menu"
> is
> set to more than 1.
>
> Please, any help is appericiated.

Thank you for your response, unfortunately my REGISTRY did not contain any
reference to these policies. I red the entire article and nothing seemed to
match.

I have added these two, but since both are to be disabled they may have no
effect, but I'm rebooting now to see anyway.

Thank you again

Phil

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Disable the two policies namely NoInstrumentation and
> NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList. See MS article Q292504 for more information -
> 292504 - Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP
>
> Start Menu Most Frequently Used programs (MFU) list is empty:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmfu.htm
>
> Additional Note: Personalized Favorites feature in Internet Explorer
> does not work if NoInstrumentation Policy is turned ON.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "movieplace" <movieplace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The recently used programs section of the start menu has gone missing. I
> > can
> > only view the quick start programs at the top or the "Programs menu" at
> > the
> > bottom. I've checked to make sure the "number of programs on start menu"
> > is
> > set to more than 1.
> >
> > Please, any help is appericiated.

Creating the reg value is not required. BTW, have you checked under both
HKCU and HKLM?

--

> Thank you for your response, unfortunately my REGISTRY did not contain any
> reference to these policies. I red the entire article and nothing seemed
> match.
>
> I have added these two, but since both are to be disabled they may have no
> effect, but I'm rebooting now to see anyway.
>
> Thank you again
>
> Phil
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Disable the two policies namely NoInstrumentation and
>> NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList. See MS article Q292504 for more information -
>> 292504 - Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP
>>
>> Start Menu Most Frequently Used programs (MFU) list is empty:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmfu.htm
>>
>> Additional Note: Personalized Favorites feature in Internet Explorer
>> does not work if NoInstrumentation Policy is turned ON.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>

>> "movieplace" <movieplace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The recently used programs section of the start menu has gone missing.
>> > can
>> > only view the quick start programs at the top or the "Programs menu" at
>> > the
>> > bottom. I've checked to make sure the "number of programs on start
>> > menu"
>> > is
>> > set to more than 1.
>> >
>> > Please, any help is appericiated.