DllRegisterServer returns 0x80020009 when trying to regist..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Hi,
When I try to run the command: "regsvr32 dllname.dll" for a specific
dll, I get a popup with an error message saying that DllRegisterServer
returned 0x80020009. I've googled all over the Internet, and come up
with 2 possibilities:
1) dllname.dll depends on other dlls which are not registered on the
user's machine
2) Even though the user has admin rights to their PC, they still are
restricted from using certain registry keys that dllname.dll needs to
write to.

I don't think the problem is #1, because I removed a few dlls that
dllname.dll is dependent on, and when I run regsvr32 dllname.dll on a
PC that doesn't have the original problem, I get a different error
code: 7e.

Has anyone come across this problem, and do you know the solution?
This happens on an XP PC, and it's only happening on 1 out of 10 PCs.
The other 9 PCs have no problem registering dllname.dll.

Thanks for any help you can give

--
Jones
Jones's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=7543

The Edit menu in Regedt32.exe has a Permissions item. If thats the issue, I would try changing all child objects in
Hkey_Classes_Root (advanced button, both checkboxes, inherit.., and replace...)

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Jones" <Jones.1r6zev@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:Jones.1r6zev@DoNotSpam.com...

> Hi,
> When I try to run the command: "regsvr32 dllname.dll" for a specific
> dll, I get a popup with an error message saying that DllRegisterServer
> returned 0x80020009. I've googled all over the Internet, and come up
> with 2 possibilities:
> 1) dllname.dll depends on other dlls which are not registered on the
> user's machine
> 2) Even though the user has admin rights to their PC, they still are
> restricted from using certain registry keys that dllname.dll needs to
> write to.
>
> I don't think the problem is #1, because I removed a few dlls that
> dllname.dll is dependent on, and when I run regsvr32 dllname.dll on a
> PC that doesn't have the original problem, I get a different error
> code: 7e.
>
> Has anyone come across this problem, and do you know the solution?
> This happens on an XP PC, and it's only happening on 1 out of 10 PCs.
> The other 9 PCs have no problem registering dllname.dll.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give
>

> --
> Jones
> Jones's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=7543
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=235204
> Visit - http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/f-127.html | http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/f-127-p--p-3.html
> | http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/f-127-p--p-2.html

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Wow, thanks for the quick response, Mark! I've been pulling my hair out
trying to fix this problem. I only have access to a PC right now that
has regedit.exe, so I don't see any Permissions item, but you're saying
regedt32.exe has that item for any PC it's running on?

--
Jones
Jones's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=7543
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=235204
Visit - http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/f-127.html | http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/f-127-p--p-3.html | http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/f-127-p--p-2.html

Yes, start/run, type regedt32

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Jones" <Jones.1r8lt6@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:Jones.1r8lt6@DoNotSpam.com...

> Wow, thanks for the quick response, Mark! I've been pulling my hair out
> trying to fix this problem. I only have access to a PC right now that
> has regedit.exe, so I don't see any Permissions item, but you're saying
> regedt32.exe has that item for any PC it's running on?
>

> --
> Jones
> Jones's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=7543
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=235204
> Visit - http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/f-127.html | http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/f-127-p--p-3.html
> | http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/f-127-p--p-2.html

winostips

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hi,

You can also do the following to resolve this issue.

Restore file and registry security permissions to a known state.

For Windows XP users:

Download and unzip a small utility called Repair Permissions from http://djlizard.net/software/Repair%20Permissions.zip
Locate the unzipped folder, and double-click the !RUNME file.
The command prompt window will now open and will begin to restore the file and registry permissions to a known state, please be patient as the command can take some time to complete.
Once the command has completed, try to register a dll file again.

For Windows Vista/Windows 7 users:

Click Start>All Programs>Accessories, then right-click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as Administrator”
Type in the following command exactly as you see it and press ENTER.
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
Wait for the command to complete, it can take some time so please be patient.