Need HELP getting a laptop to game under 1000!!!!! :o Asus maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ks786

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
1. What is your budget? 1k or less!

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? any size as long as its not too small or big

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1000+ x __

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? doesnt matter

5. How much battery life do you need? few hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? League of Legends on 60fps, high. sc2, basically any game that is decent, but doesnt have to be the max

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) possibly coding, photoshop

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? good amount

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. any site thats legit

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? few years without having it outddated so soon. A graphic card that can keep up to date for a while

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? dvd rom, need to be able to burn cds

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Been reading on brands and seeing lenovo or asus? I've never owned a laptop or bought one myself so i wouldnt know but i want good specs but cheap for the price instead of overpriced stuff.

13. What country do you live in? CA

14. i7, and best graphic card/processor for the price if possible! any info thats worth knowing lemme know! i dont know much
thanks looking to buy it on blackfriday or by xmas :sol:

Solution

Better overall picture quality? Maybe. Better frame rate because of higher resolution? No. You get lower frame rate when gaming when you up the res.

@PO, it is difficult to find a laptop that beat Lenovo Y580 in price to performance ration. In fact, I have been searching for >6 months, it's still the best laptop for <$1000.

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I just replied to someone with a similar question. The best laptops in the under $1000 range are usually Dells. The Inspiron 15R and 17R may have what you're looking for. Check out their specs on the official Dell site.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/laptops.aspx?ref=usen-lt-tile#!facets=226291~0~14720665&p=1

Both have i7 processors, 8GB ram, 1TB hard disk at 5400 RPM. The 15R comes with a Intel HD Graphics 4000 as its default option, while the 17R comes with a NVIDIA GTX 630M. Both are mid level class 2 graphics card, so they'll be ok for you if you're not doing any hardcore gaming. If you can spend like $200 more, you can get the 17R with a 650M card, instead, although that may not be necessary.
Anyway check out the site, and play around with the settings, see if you like what they offer. Dell has really good customer support and warranty, so durability isn't going to be a problem. Also, if you're not gaming too much, battery life will be pretty good, around 3-3.5 hours on average.
The main difference between these two is that the 15R has a 15.6 inch screen and the 17R has a 17.3 inch screen, but both can have good resolutions above 1080p. As I said in the other thread, Dell is amongst the best options for the under $1000 range. Hope I helped :)

Ks786

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Anyone agree with the above or any suggestions/opinions? For dell I would get the 17R mainly because of nvdia650 rather than the really mediocre one just so it can be up to date more idk.
And is there a big difference between 1300x 700 or something like that vs 1900 x_ _ _ _?
And what is considered heavy for a laptop? Reas reviews on above link inspiron 17r(2nd laptop) and people were complaining it was heavy. Says 7lbs

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Ok, so the 650M card that dell puts in their systems, is a pretty good card, and you'd be able to manage playing most games on medium settings, so that's a start.
To answer your next question, yes, there is a significant difference between 1366x768 and 1920x1080... The main thing is clarity... because the monitor fits in that many more pixels per column and row. This results in a better frame rate and overall picture. Games would run better on a higher resolution than on a lower one. But bear in mind, that a higher resolution is like any other computer component (larger scree, higher graphics card, more RAM)... and will cost more... To answer your last question, you're not going to find a 17.3 inch laptop that is very light. They are bulkier than the average (15.6 inches) because of the extra 1.7 inches and therefore the whole build is bigger. However, 7lbs is around 3.1 Kgs, which is really not that bad. You'd be hard-pressed to find a 17.3 inch lighter than that.
Weight of the laptop should not take priority over performance. You'd rather get a heavier laptop which runs amazingly and gives you a 8/10 or above performance than get a lighter laptop and manage with a 6/10 performance...

Ks786

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
F Okay thanks,
So im gonna narrowmy choices between lenovo y580 or asus. Anyone know what the best asus for 1k right now?
And anyone have experiences with the holiday sales?
Blackfriday vs cyber monday vs dece

Better overall picture quality? Maybe. Better frame rate because of higher resolution? No. You get lower frame rate when gaming when you up the res.

@PO, it is difficult to find a laptop that beat Lenovo Y580 in price to performance ration. In fact, I have been searching for >6 months, it's still the best laptop for <$1000.

Solution

Ks786

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Nice prob gonna wait a few weeks then order the lenovo with 1900 res for the quality besides gaming. Btw can laptops burn cds and how would you know? And if you go on lenovo for the y580 it says ingrated hd webcam and another laptop says hd webcam for the same mod. Is there any difference?

I haven't encounter a DVD burner that doesn't burn CDs yet. So I assume it will burn DVD but then again, I haven't burn a DVD for years.

The integrated HD cam and HD cam means there is a web cam that is over 720p resolution on top of the screen. It's just saving some time by not typing "integrated" every time. Again, there is hardly any laptop without a web cam nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.