microsoft website cant identify my windows xp

Hi, I need help with a problem I have never faced before. I was going to go
update my internet explorer on the microsoft website. When I clicked for the
update, I got redirected to another page where it said: You can not update
without a windows program. I didnt think of it as a big problem, until i went
to go update the windows definitions. Thats when I began to worry. Another
message just like the one I got for the Internet Explorer issue. So now I am
worried why they cant detect my windows software. It was working fine until
few weeks ago. If anyone can find the solution to this problem I would be
very grateful.

Go here and look for your error message and a solution.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:0E14CE32-AB8B-473D-BEBC-E67555A1E2B3@microsoft.com,
Shrut Patel <Shrut Patel@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi, I need help with a problem I have never faced before. I was going to
> go update my internet explorer on the microsoft website. When I clicked
> for the update, I got redirected to another page where it said: You can
> not update without a windows program. I didnt think of it as a big
> problem, until i went to go update the windows definitions. Thats when I
> began to worry. Another message just like the one I got for the Internet
> Explorer issue. So now I am worried why they cant detect my windows
> software. It was working fine until few weeks ago. If anyone can find the
> solution to this problem I would be very grateful.

Thanks for the help, I found the problem and did what the site asked but for
some reason I still cant use the windows update. The same message appears:

"Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
most out of your computer.

You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
Windows Update."

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Go here and look for your error message and a solution.
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:0E14CE32-AB8B-473D-BEBC-E67555A1E2B3@microsoft.com,
> Shrut Patel <Shrut Patel@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi, I need help with a problem I have never faced before. I was going to
> > go update my internet explorer on the microsoft website. When I clicked
> > for the update, I got redirected to another page where it said: You can
> > not update without a windows program. I didnt think of it as a big
> > problem, until i went to go update the windows definitions. Thats when I
> > began to worry. Another message just like the one I got for the Internet
> > Explorer issue. So now I am worried why they cant detect my windows
> > software. It was working fine until few weeks ago. If anyone can find the
> > solution to this problem I would be very grateful.

This is the site im redirected to:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/thanks.asp?

"Shrut Patel" wrote:

> Thanks for the help, I found the problem and did what the site asked but for
> some reason I still cant use the windows update. The same message appears:
>
> "Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
>
> Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
> most out of your computer.
>
> You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
> Windows Update."
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > Go here and look for your error message and a solution.
> > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:0E14CE32-AB8B-473D-BEBC-E67555A1E2B3@microsoft.com,
> > Shrut Patel <Shrut Patel@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > Hi, I need help with a problem I have never faced before. I was going to
> > > go update my internet explorer on the microsoft website. When I clicked
> > > for the update, I got redirected to another page where it said: You can
> > > not update without a windows program. I didnt think of it as a big
> > > problem, until i went to go update the windows definitions. Thats when I
> > > began to worry. Another message just like the one I got for the Internet
> > > Explorer issue. So now I am worried why they cant detect my windows
> > > software. It was working fine until few weeks ago. If anyone can find the
> > > solution to this problem I would be very grateful.

Make sure that you are using Internet Explorer.

See if one of these helps...

"Thank You for Your Interest in Windows Update" message when you connect to
the Windows Update Web Site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817144

You are redirected to a Web site with a "Thank you for your interest in
Windows Update" message when you try to visit the Windows Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836943

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes