Can you help with XP PRO Set Up freezing precluding setup?

June 25, 2005 7:18:02 PM

Can you please suggest cause, remedy or workaround for PC freezing up while
XP PRO is Setting Up? I have read many of the threads without solution. I’ve
formatted the hard drive but freeze during XP Prop Set Up.

Usually the freeze occurs when set up is between 0% and 50% loaded. I’ve
repeatedly formatted to FAT 32 in a single 29330MB partition (now with
29315MB free). The PC formats with FAT32 default because partition is larger
than 2048 MB.

I’ve successfully used this XP PRO, Office 2003, etc for a couple years. I
just wanted top clean my drive. I have 800 MHz AMD Anthlon Processor with
384MB of RAM. The motherboard is a AMR Plus Technologies Mainboard # K7VZA

I could not find the mfg. VIA technologies to see if there was a BIOS update
or a 4 in one driver. I did go into MSFT knowledge base and found nothing,
albeit how to get lost.

Can you direct me on where I can find out the cause of these freeze ups or
how to fix it or work around it?

Thank you very, very much

joe
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:18:03 PM

Have you tried booting with only one stick of RAM?

This usually allows installation to proceed normally.

Sounds like you bought two sticks of RAM that were not "matched". Even
though they may be from the same manufacturer and look the same, unless they
were sold together as a unit, they are not matched.

Bobby

!