Sign in with
Your question

Open Office better than MSOffice

Last response: in Windows XP
September 3, 2003 1:34:37 AM

I was using office xp today and had it crash twice on me while working on a long document.

It was supposed to autorecover it but it did not work.

So I got mad, uninstalled all M$ products besides XP itself and went searching for the best free office package out there.

I found Open Office, which was related to Star Office of which I've had a bit of experience in the past..
and found it works exactly the same, actually I like it better and it doesn't crash!

I had to download the new java software to use all its features but I like the idea of a non platform specific file format.

Very nice software, I probably won't ever use MSOffice again.

Highly recommended!

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500

More about : open office msoffice

September 3, 2003 2:20:44 AM

Is it fast for loading and the other stuff. I ask this because, I had a terrible experience using a piece of software that relied on java. It was painfully slooooooowwwwww. It took 4 minutes 24 secondes to load(yes I timed it) and every thing in the software was slow.

Oh yeah, if you want to know the software was Forte from Sun.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies
September 3, 2003 4:43:39 AM

This package doesnt require java to be installed. They say w/o it will disable some of the features but I went ahead and installed the newest java anyway.

Its not slow though, it runs as fast or faster than office xp. Especially in loading times. Running the apps are about equal.

Its a word processor so its not going to blow your mind but I was impressed enough I'm never paying for a word processor again.

And the open source has a nice community feel to it compared to MS software filled with all their dogma.

As if many pay for their software anyway. :smile:

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500
Related resources
September 3, 2003 4:54:59 AM

it's not better, it's free and simple to use, but not better and lucks small database like access. if they had access like some thing, i would switch long time ago, but still using 2k (have no crashes though ;0)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
September 3, 2003 7:04:06 AM

I never had crashes with Office2K myself either.

I don't use much of the office package besides word and maybe excel.

Always hated outlook, frontpage is pretty good for webpage design but I'm pretty sure theres better out there. Access is out of my breadth of knowledge anyway.
I did limited work with it my first 2 years of college but nothing in-depth.

One big advantage I've found to the open source side is that while Office products someday will lose support, many open source will continue to get support from users, for free.
And if one product is dropped in favor of another in the open source community, another will pop up and they are all mostly free the whole while. :smile:

M$ has gotten years and hours worth of labor of my money.
But I can't complain, I've ripped them off equally in return over the years.

Difference is, they got rich over those years.. I'm still poor!

September 4, 2003 11:06:08 AM

i like ms-office xp and it's auto-recover.

-J<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ECORâ„¢ -
-J<font color=purple>//\</font color=purple>ECORâ„¢ -
September 4, 2003 6:14:09 PM

I agree, its nice when the power goes out or something like that.

Though it couldnt keep my document from M$ eating it!

September 4, 2003 7:21:21 PM

Does Open Office have all the spell check/auto correct features that Word does?

<b><font color=red>I did NOT have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky ... - Bill "Cigar Man" Clinton</font color=red><b>
September 4, 2003 7:32:17 PM

It's very rare that the power goes out. The only time I need to use the auto-recover feature is when OfficeXP crashes. So if M$ could put a bit more efforts in making their product more stable, I wouldn't need the auto-recover.

September 5, 2003 3:11:20 AM

yes. I havent noticed if it does autocorrect while your typing though. I'm not a fan of that particular office feature anyway.

In the spelling department, I like OO better than MS office. Mostly because when your typing it will try to predict what word you are typing and if you hit enter when the word pops up, it adds itself to your document and you continue at the end of that word. So if it finished supercalifragilisticexpealidocious, but you wanted supercalifragilisticexpealidocioused.. you'd only have to type in supercal, hit enter then add the "ed".

I type about 80 WPM and usually am not looking at the screen when typing, so I miss this preemtive word feature most of the time. But its something but comes in handy when I'm being lazy.

September 5, 2003 2:37:44 PM

I'm a slow typer/typist, whatever, and can't spell for sh**, so auto correct is a big thing for me.

<b><font color=red>I did NOT have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky ... - Bill "Cigar Man" Clinton</font color=red><b>
September 6, 2003 3:51:45 PM

I don't like Open Office because it doesn't support word format perfectly, and it's a shame because 99% of the ppl use Word.

And Anyway if you use really big documents you should use LateX, not a crappy word processing prog.
September 6, 2003 6:25:19 PM

Relax man, LateX is in an other dimension. It is very powerfull, but a lot tougher to use. I find it very usefull for papers that have a lot of math formulas in them and to create .pdf and .ps. However, for every day use I still prefer a regular Word processor.

September 14, 2003 11:46:13 AM

i am well impressed by OO, the fact that MS were expecting people to pay so much for an application as basic as a word processor is criminal. I am so glad that someone has come out and created a community effort like this. For the first time in a long time i filled in all the survey questions and registered and was happy to volunteer for Beta testing. Fair play to them.

it seems good and stable, havent had any problems. I do miss some of the autoCorrect features, but it is good for me not to rely too heavily on those anyway. couldnt open .wpd documents though, but i am sure it will develop on to that. i believe the newest Beta has a conversion to .pdf file function as well, which is nice.
hopefully they will create something to replace outlook as well.

i used to use office 2k, and was always happy with it, but i certainly have no intention of ever buying a MS office product again.

i recommend everyone supports OO, toll the death knell for MS office, visit www.openoffice.org

:) 

alex
!