Blank Screen at Startup

My PC used to work fine but now during startup displays the XP splash screen
then goes blank from then on. XP does start ( plays startup sound) and I can
shutdown normally using the keyboard, but there is just a black screen. The
same thing happens in Safe Mode but instead it keeps displaying the list of
loaded drivers. Any help/insight in resolving this problem is welcome and
greatly appreciated.

sarah

This indeed could be your harddrive as well, my computer has gone wrong
since I've bought it, contact your computer company and tell them you think
you need a new harddrive.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:4A31CDE9-5D00-4098-B481-FB78A1C0AB06@microsoft.com,
Morefire <Morefire@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> My PC used to work fine but now during startup displays the XP splash
> screen then goes blank from then on. XP does start ( plays startup
> sound) and I can shutdown normally using the keyboard, but there is
> just a black screen. The same thing happens in Safe Mode but instead
> it keeps displaying the list of loaded drivers. Any help/insight in
> resolving this problem is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Press CTRL + ALT + Delete, in the task manager file - new task and type
explorer.exe... Does that bring up your desktop?

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

After the BIOS and XP loading screen is displayed, there is just a black
screen, no display, not even the mouse pointer, but xp does load and plays
the startup music and I can shutdown blindly using the keyboard, but there is
no display so i cant see the task manager. maybe the onboard video is going
bad?