hard drive diagnostic

Is there anything available at Dell to do a diagnostic of a hard drive or do
I need to get one from the manufaturer of the hard drive.

Nate Rosenthal wrote:

> Is there anything available at Dell to do a diagnostic of a hard drive or do
> I need to get one from the manufaturer of the hard drive.

Have a look at sites, such as:

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdisktools.html

If the freeware stuff doesn't interest you, head over to
the shareware section.

Notan

Nate Rosenthal wrote:
> Is there anything available at Dell to do a diagnostic of a hard drive or do
> I need to get one from the manufaturer of the hard drive.

The menu from hitting F12 at boot up includes an option to run disk
diagnostics.

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

CTRL + D at the dell splash screen so long as you haven't wiped the drive to
load the onboard diags prog
> Nate Rosenthal wrote:
>>
>> Is there anything available at Dell to do a diagnostic of a hard drive or
>> do
>> I need to get one from the manufaturer of the hard drive.
>
> Have a look at sites, such as:
>
> http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdisktools.html
>
> If the freeware stuff doesn't interest you, head over to
> the shareware section.
>
> Notan

.... and other system diagnostics as well... Ben Myers

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 13:10:09 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
<Sparky@spartacus.galaxy.org> wrote:

>Nate Rosenthal wrote:
>> Is there anything available at Dell to do a diagnostic of a hard drive or do
>> I need to get one from the manufaturer of the hard drive.
>
>The menu from hitting F12 at boot up includes an option to run disk
>diagnostics.

Dell has disk diagnostics on the diagnostic partition, but there is nothing like
a drive manufacturer's diagnostics to supply accurate and detailed information
about the state of the drive. (Most of) the manufacturers make them available
via a free download. Toshiba does not, a good reason not to use Toshiba
notebook drives... Ben Myers

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 12:11:51 -0400, "Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote:

>Is there anything available at Dell to do a diagnostic of a hard drive or do
>I need to get one from the manufaturer of the hard drive.

If you go to http://seatools.seagatestorage.com/en?SRC_1=pr you can request
a free CD that will test your hard drive. Although this is supplied by
Seagate it works on any manufacturers drive.

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) top-posted:
>Dell has disk diagnostics on the diagnostic partition, but there is nothing like
>a drive manufacturer's diagnostics to supply accurate and detailed information
>about the state of the drive. (Most of) the manufacturers make them available
>via a free download.

What Ben said. Find your drive manufacturer and download the latest
diag from them. Many of them will practically create RMAs for you.

<ncrose@comcast.net> wrote:

>Is there anything available at Dell to do a diagnostic of a hard drive or do
>I need to get one from the manufaturer of the hard drive.

After I confronted Dell with probably HD failure (within warranth) on
Inspiron 8699, they stepped me thru some diagnostic procedures over
the phone to confirm. So I suspect there are some useful tests.

Since then, I've using the program Drive Health 2.0 Beta5 to monitor.

William P. N. Smith wrote:
> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) top-posted:
>
>>Dell has disk diagnostics on the diagnostic partition, but there is nothing like
>>a drive manufacturer's diagnostics to supply accurate and detailed information
>>about the state of the drive. (Most of) the manufacturers make them available
>>via a free download.
>
> What Ben said. Find your drive manufacturer and download the latest
> diag from them. Many of them will practically create RMAs for you.

FWIW, I downloaded Maxtor's most recent PowerMax (4.21) when I was
dealing with my 2 bum Maxtors - PowerMax did not report on any SATA
drives, only the parallel ones on the EIDE interface (same result with
Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test (DFT)).

Maxtor is definitely behind the power curve if Powermax does not work with SATA
drives... Ben Myers

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:39:24 -0400, Sparky Spartacus