Transferring files to removeable media after repair

I have a HP notebook PC running Windows XP home edition (had SP2, but not
sure I still do after repair). It froze on bootup at the WinXP logo screen -
after much trial and error - I tried the reinstall, but the program did not
recognize any windows OS in system only partioned sections. So I followed
instructions for using the Recovery Console. (In the follow up steps I found
no system restore snapshots that were prio r to my repair time) --- So what I
need to do is back up some files and then do a clean install and start over
--unless someone has a better idea???

Problem is current configuration does not recognize my USB jump drive or the
CD writing program (no internal floppy drive).
I respectfully ask for your assistance (note - I am not on my laptop writing
this)
Thanks,
Ridintheasphalt