Some shortcuts not functioning

June 26, 2005 10:07:01 AM

Have a Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home. Recently some of my
shortcuts/execuctables have stopped functioning. No software has been added
to machine in quite some time. Running StopZilla, Zone Alarm, and McAfee.

Examples of problems:
- an excel file in a folder on my desktop will open excel but will not open
the file.
- Can't remove a program through Add/Remove under control panel or through
uninstall menu item under software folder in Programs
- Double click on an icon on desktop doesn't launch program (does nothing!)

Thanks much in advance to anyone with suggestions.

Seth

More about : shortcuts functioning

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 11:16:03 AM

I have excatly the same problem with my excel shortcuts... they open
perfectly once I'm in the excel, but the shortcuts or icons just don't work.
it's driving me insane!

"Seth C" wrote:

> Have a Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Home. Recently some of my
> shortcuts/execuctables have stopped functioning. No software has been added
> to machine in quite some time. Running StopZilla, Zone Alarm, and McAfee.
>
> Examples of problems:
> - an excel file in a folder on my desktop will open excel but will not open
> the file.
> - Can't remove a program through Add/Remove under control panel or through
> uninstall menu item under software folder in Programs
> - Double click on an icon on desktop doesn't launch program (does nothing!)
>
> Thanks much in advance to anyone with suggestions.
>
> Seth
June 26, 2005 8:51:26 PM

Try this guys in Internet Explorer go to Tools-Internet options-select the
advanced Tab and on the settings list uncheck enable third party browser
extensions so they are disabled if you see what I mean. Now reboot Windows
XP Home. If that doesn't work log on to the system either as administator or
someone else-create an account if necessary-are your desktop icons now
alive?

Chelsea
!