putting in extra ram ???

my pc has 512 ram on 1 stick.....if I put in another 512 do I have to alter
anything in bios setting - or will the pc see it straight away with no
adjustments needed ???

"Advid" <advid@freeuk.com> wrote in message
> my pc has 512 ram on 1 stick.....if I put in another 512 do I have to
> alter anything in bios setting - or will the pc see it straight away with
> no adjustments needed ???

RTFM!

Most likely you will have to do nothing and the ram will be detected. Some
motherboards may need settings changed in the BIOS. Read your manual first.

Kerry

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

It will be detected automaticly. If you have the memory timing in your bios
set to SPD then the bios will read the the timing, latency and other memory
related parameters directly from the memory module so you don't need to set
those values either. Its always good to try and use memoryof the same speed
so if your currently have say PC2700 DDR try to make the new memory PC2700
as well.

dl

To save yourself grief, visit a 'known memory' manu web site and use their
configurator to get the correct memory for your system.
eg Kingston, Crucile to name a few

"Advid" <advid@freeuk.com> wrote in message
> my pc has 512 ram on 1 stick.....if I put in another 512 do I have to
alter
> anything in bios setting - or will the pc see it straight away with no
> adjustments needed ???

DL

Haha.. you have to give these people a chance and spell the name of
companies correctly.. the name is 'crucial'..

Reminds me of Bob Newhart's "Bus driver school" sketch where bus drivers are
specifically taught to mispronounce the names of streets so that passengers
get off at the wrong stop.. funniest thing I have ever heard.. that and
"introducing tobacco to civilization"..

Stay safe..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> To save yourself grief, visit a 'known memory' manu web site and use their
> configurator to get the correct memory for your system.
> eg Kingston, Crucile to name a few
>
> "Advid" <advid@freeuk.com> wrote in message
>> my pc has 512 ram on 1 stick.....if I put in another 512 do I have to
> alter
>> anything in bios setting - or will the pc see it straight away with no
>> adjustments needed ???

dl

a crucial mistake

> DL
>
> Haha.. you have to give these people a chance and spell the name of
> companies correctly.. the name is 'crucial'..
>
> Reminds me of Bob Newhart's "Bus driver school" sketch where bus drivers
are
> specifically taught to mispronounce the names of streets so that
passengers
> get off at the wrong stop.. funniest thing I have ever heard.. that and
> "introducing tobacco to civilization"..
>
> Stay safe..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
>

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> > To save yourself grief, visit a 'known memory' manu web site and use
their
> > configurator to get the correct memory for your system.
> > eg Kingston, Crucile to name a few
> >
> > "Advid" <advid@freeuk.com> wrote in message
> >> my pc has 512 ram on 1 stick.....if I put in another 512 do I have to
> > alter
> >> anything in bios setting - or will the pc see it straight away with no
> >> adjustments needed ???

It happens.. lol..