putting in extra ram ???

my pc has 512 ram on 1 stick.....if I put in another 512 do I have to alter
anything in bios setting - or will the pc see it straight away with no
adjustments needed ???
6 answers Last reply
More about putting extra

    "Advid" <advid@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    > my pc has 512 ram on 1 stick.....if I put in another 512 do I have to
    > alter anything in bios setting - or will the pc see it straight away with
    > no adjustments needed ???

    RTFM!

    Most likely you will have to do nothing and the ram will be detected. Some
    motherboards may need settings changed in the BIOS. Read your manual first.

    Kerry

    It will be detected automaticly. If you have the memory timing in your bios
    set to SPD then the bios will read the the timing, latency and other memory
    related parameters directly from the memory module so you don't need to set
    those values either. Its always good to try and use memoryof the same speed
    so if your currently have say PC2700 DDR try to make the new memory PC2700
    as well.

    To save yourself grief, visit a 'known memory' manu web site and use their
    configurator to get the correct memory for your system.
    eg Kingston, Crucile to name a few

    "Advid" <advid@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    > my pc has 512 ram on 1 stick.....if I put in another 512 do I have to
    alter
    > anything in bios setting - or will the pc see it straight away with no
    > adjustments needed ???

    DL

    Haha.. you have to give these people a chance and spell the name of
    companies correctly.. the name is 'crucial'..

    Reminds me of Bob Newhart's "Bus driver school" sketch where bus drivers are
    specifically taught to mispronounce the names of streets so that passengers
    get off at the wrong stop.. funniest thing I have ever heard.. that and
    "introducing tobacco to civilization"..

    Stay safe..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > To save yourself grief, visit a 'known memory' manu web site and use their
    > configurator to get the correct memory for your system.
    > eg Kingston, Crucile to name a few
    >
    > "Advid" <advid@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    >> my pc has 512 ram on 1 stick.....if I put in another 512 do I have to
    > alter
    >> anything in bios setting - or will the pc see it straight away with no
    >> adjustments needed ???

    a crucial mistake

    > DL
    >
    > Haha.. you have to give these people a chance and spell the name of
    > companies correctly.. the name is 'crucial'..
    >
    > Reminds me of Bob Newhart's "Bus driver school" sketch where bus drivers
    are
    > specifically taught to mispronounce the names of streets so that
    passengers
    > get off at the wrong stop.. funniest thing I have ever heard.. that and
    > "introducing tobacco to civilization"..
    >
    > Stay safe..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
    > it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >

    > "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    > > To save yourself grief, visit a 'known memory' manu web site and use
    their
    > > configurator to get the correct memory for your system.
    > > eg Kingston, Crucile to name a few
    > >
    > > "Advid" <advid@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    > >> my pc has 512 ram on 1 stick.....if I put in another 512 do I have to
    > > alter
    > >> anything in bios setting - or will the pc see it straight away with no
    > >> adjustments needed ???

    It happens.. lol..

    --

    >a crucial mistake
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> DL
    >>
    >> Haha.. you have to give these people a chance and spell the name of
    >> companies correctly.. the name is 'crucial'..
    >>
    >> Reminds me of Bob Newhart's "Bus driver school" sketch where bus drivers
    > are
    >> specifically taught to mispronounce the names of streets so that
    > passengers
    >> get off at the wrong stop.. funniest thing I have ever heard.. that and
    >> "introducing tobacco to civilization"..
    >>
    >> Stay safe..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >> kept
    >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >>

    >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
    >> > To save yourself grief, visit a 'known memory' manu web site and use
    > their
    >> > configurator to get the correct memory for your system.
    >> > eg Kingston, Crucile to name a few
    >> >
    >> > "Advid" <advid@freeuk.com> wrote in message
    >> > alter

Support RAM Microsoft Windows XP