DSL disconnect

The oddest thing. About every Wed and either Sat or Sun. The DSL connection
or something in Windows won't allow connection, and I can't access online. I
have to restart the computer, then all is well until Wed. or Sat/Sun. I've
called SBC/Global and they can't find anything. It seems to be a timing
thing that resets to Wed and Sat/Sun. I've been keeping track. This started
a couple of months ago.
Has anyone else encounted this? What to do. Everything goes back to
normal when I restart.
Thanks

Do you have some sort of scheduled task running at those particular times
that may be conflicting somehow?

"Animal Watcher" <Animal Watcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The oddest thing. About every Wed and either Sat or Sun. The DSL
> connection
> or something in Windows won't allow connection, and I can't access online.
> have to restart the computer, then all is well until Wed. or Sat/Sun.
> I've
> called SBC/Global and they can't find anything. It seems to be a timing
> thing that resets to Wed and Sat/Sun. I've been keeping track. This
> started
> a couple of months ago.
> Has anyone else encounted this? What to do. Everything goes back to
> normal when I restart.
> Thanks

My scheduled tasks: I only have anti-virus scan every Friday at midnight, and
Symantec Net Detect , virus update every 4 hours. I manually do disk clean
up when I think about it.

"Technical Ecstasy" wrote:

> Do you have some sort of scheduled task running at those particular times
> that may be conflicting somehow?
>

> "Animal Watcher" <Animal Watcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The oddest thing. About every Wed and either Sat or Sun. The DSL
> > connection
> > or something in Windows won't allow connection, and I can't access online.
> > have to restart the computer, then all is well until Wed. or Sat/Sun.
> > I've
> > called SBC/Global and they can't find anything. It seems to be a timing
> > thing that resets to Wed and Sat/Sun. I've been keeping track. This
> > started
> > a couple of months ago.
> > Has anyone else encounted this? What to do. Everything goes back to
> > normal when I restart.
> > Thanks

The more I think about it(for what it's worth) when I had Adelphia cable
hook up, I had the same thing happen to me on occasion, although not like
clockwork. I think it's a SBC/Global issue, some sort of quirk.

> My scheduled tasks: I only have anti-virus scan every Friday at midnight,
> and
> Symantec Net Detect , virus update every 4 hours. I manually do disk
> clean
> up when I think about it.
>
> "Technical Ecstasy" wrote:
>
>> Do you have some sort of scheduled task running at those particular times
>> that may be conflicting somehow?
>>

>> "Animal Watcher" <Animal Watcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > The oddest thing. About every Wed and either Sat or Sun. The DSL
>> > connection
>> > or something in Windows won't allow connection, and I can't access
>> > online.
>> > have to restart the computer, then all is well until Wed. or Sat/Sun.
>> > I've
>> > called SBC/Global and they can't find anything. It seems to be a
>> > timing
>> > thing that resets to Wed and Sat/Sun. I've been keeping track. This
>> > started
>> > a couple of months ago.
>> > Has anyone else encounted this? What to do. Everything goes back to
>> > normal when I restart.
>> > Thanks

Huh..... glad to know it isn't just me.... so when I call SBC/Global, what
should I say to make them understand. I often want to pull my hair out after
talking to a tech support when they don't understand. So any assistant on
how to state the problem, would be helpfull.

It isn't like AOL that would disconnect all the time, but you could dial up
again and it would connect.

And any other ideas on what this could be would also be appreciated.

"Technical Ecstasy" wrote:

> The more I think about it(for what it's worth) when I had Adelphia cable
> hook up, I had the same thing happen to me on occasion, although not like
> clockwork. I think it's a SBC/Global issue, some sort of quirk.
>
> "Animal Watcher" <AnimalWatcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My scheduled tasks: I only have anti-virus scan every Friday at midnight,
> > and
> > Symantec Net Detect , virus update every 4 hours. I manually do disk
> > clean
> > up when I think about it.
> >
> > "Technical Ecstasy" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have some sort of scheduled task running at those particular times
> >> that may be conflicting somehow?
> >>

> >> "Animal Watcher" <Animal Watcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

I suspect the problem occurs on expiration of the DHCP lease. What DSL
modem do you have? Are you using a router? What kind?
--

"Animal Watcher" <Animal Watcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The oddest thing. About every Wed and either Sat or Sun. The DSL
> connection
> or something in Windows won't allow connection, and I can't access online.
> have to restart the computer, then all is well until Wed. or Sat/Sun.
> I've
> called SBC/Global and they can't find anything. It seems to be a timing
> thing that resets to Wed and Sat/Sun. I've been keeping track. This
> started
> a couple of months ago.
> Has anyone else encounted this? What to do. Everything goes back to
> normal when I restart.
> Thanks

I have a simular thing to that! When ive been online for a certain amount of
hours, be it 13 hours or 42 hours or even more, I will get disconnected from
the net, and i wont allow me to reconnect unless i reboot my system, as soon
as i reboot, it will connect again straight away!

Any idea?

"Animal Watcher" <AnimalWatcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My scheduled tasks: I only have anti-virus scan every Friday at midnight,
> and
> Symantec Net Detect , virus update every 4 hours. I manually do disk
> clean
> up when I think about it.
>
> "Technical Ecstasy" wrote:
>
>> Do you have some sort of scheduled task running at those particular times
>> that may be conflicting somehow?
>>

>> "Animal Watcher" <Animal Watcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > The oddest thing. About every Wed and either Sat or Sun. The DSL
>> > connection
>> > or something in Windows won't allow connection, and I can't access
>> > online.
>> > have to restart the computer, then all is well until Wed. or Sat/Sun.
>> > I've
>> > called SBC/Global and they can't find anything. It seems to be a
>> > timing
>> > thing that resets to Wed and Sat/Sun. I've been keeping track. This
>> > started
>> > a couple of months ago.
>> > Has anyone else encounted this? What to do. Everything goes back to
>> > normal when I restart.
>> > Thanks

My problem was intermittent and happened only 6 times or so. I just put up
with it because, like you, I would reboot the computer and the problem would
go away. Maybe it's like GTS is suggesting although I think I thought the
same thing at the time but it didn't pan out.

> Huh..... glad to know it isn't just me.... so when I call SBC/Global, what
> should I say to make them understand. I often want to pull my hair out
> after
> talking to a tech support when they don't understand. So any assistant
> on
> how to state the problem, would be helpfull.
>
> It isn't like AOL that would disconnect all the time, but you could dial
> up
> again and it would connect.
>
> And any other ideas on what this could be would also be appreciated.
>
> "Technical Ecstasy" wrote:
>
>> The more I think about it(for what it's worth) when I had Adelphia cable
>> hook up, I had the same thing happen to me on occasion, although not like
>> clockwork. I think it's a SBC/Global issue, some sort of quirk.
>>
>> "Animal Watcher" <AnimalWatcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > My scheduled tasks: I only have anti-virus scan every Friday at
>> > midnight,
>> > and
>> > Symantec Net Detect , virus update every 4 hours. I manually do disk
>> > clean
>> > up when I think about it.

Hey, I have a speedstream 5100 that came with DSL sign up. What does
"expiration of DHCP lease" mean? Is the speed stream the router too? That
is the only piece of equiptment I got with sign up. If that is not the
modem, please tell me where to explore in the computer so I can find the
right answer for you.

"GTS" wrote:

> I suspect the problem occurs on expiration of the DHCP lease. What DSL
> modem do you have? Are you using a router? What kind?
> --
>
> "Animal Watcher" <Animal Watcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The oddest thing. About every Wed and either Sat or Sun. The DSL
> > connection
> > or something in Windows won't allow connection, and I can't access online.
> > have to restart the computer, then all is well until Wed. or Sat/Sun.
> > I've
> > called SBC/Global and they can't find anything. It seems to be a timing
> > thing that resets to Wed and Sat/Sun. I've been keeping track. This
> > started
> > a couple of months ago.
> > Has anyone else encounted this? What to do. Everything goes back to
> > normal when I restart.
> > Thanks

This came from SBC/Global, I have n't tried it yet but will soon. I'll let
y'all know if it works.

What do you think GTS?

Power cycle DSL modem
Power cycling the modem has a couple of benefits. Basically a power cycle
resets all the counters and registers on the modem. This includes refreshing
the memory and sending a signal to the DSLAM or RT indicating that the modem
will be dropping the DSL signal and it will need to resynchronize when it
comes back up. You should only have to wait 10 seconds to ensure all power
has been disconnected to the modem before powering it back on. An important
step in power cycling the modem is to ensure that the Member is logged out
(disconnected) from any active Internet connections before switching the
modem off. This is to avoid any time out period that may exist if the
connection is terminated unexpectedly.

1. Remove and replace the DSL phone line from the jack on the DSL modem.
2. Turn DSL modem power switch to the off position (not all modems have a
power switch).
3. Remove the power cord in the back of the DSL modem (if it is easier for
customer to reach wall plug that will be sufficient) for about two minutes
and then replace the power cord. Note: it is a good idea to check the
network settings and cold boot the computer, while the DSL modem is waiting
to be turned on.
4. Turn DSL modem on (if you have turned the computer off, turn the modem on
before the computer).
5. Wait 30 seconds for modem to synchronize (if the computer is turned off
wait for sync before turning the computer on).
6. If the Power/Synchronization light does not turn solid green after 2
minutes repeat the steps 2, 3, 4, and 5 (up to 3 times total).

"Animal Watcher" wrote:

> The oddest thing. About every Wed and either Sat or Sun. The DSL connection
> or something in Windows won't allow connection, and I can't access online. I
> have to restart the computer, then all is well until Wed. or Sat/Sun. I've
> called SBC/Global and they can't find anything. It seems to be a timing
> thing that resets to Wed and Sat/Sun. I've been keeping track. This started
> a couple of months ago.
> Has anyone else encounted this? What to do. Everything goes back to
> normal when I restart.
> Thanks

I'm confused by the #1 instruction below...
" Remove andreplace the DSL phone line from the jack " What does this mean?
Replace it with what? Do you think it means to just disconnect it? I don't
want to try anything until I understand what it means. I tend to break
everything...