bfg 6800gt/oc overheating issues?

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
i'm having an issue with my BFG 6800 that seems to be(?) heat related and i'm curious if anyone else has seen this problem.

after gaming for a few hours, my screen will flicker and i get 1 of 2 things, either a screen full of what looks like hash marks in yellow/pink or i loose the signal to my montior completely. both require a full reboot to get video back.

i was running at 2k x 1.9k (or something thereabouts), but have recently moved back to 1600 x 1200, and added some little antec video card fan (eats up 2 pci slots \= ). that seemed to help, but if my A/C in the room is off, i will see the problem again.

i guess my question other than has anyone else seen/experienced this. should i be concerned? i mean a $400 dollar vid card shouldn't be acting like this (at least i wouldn't think)

system info (i figure this may help as well)
p4 3.2 prescott
6800gt/oc (bfg)

case is a coolermaster praetorian. 2 intake in the front, 1 rear, and 1 top fan. and that silly antec fan blowing on the vid card.

air flow seems ok. cpu hits about 60c when gaming. idles mid 40s

thanks for any thoughts.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
You can check the temps of your video card. From the desktop, right click and select Properties. Click on the Settings tab, then the advanced button. Then click on the tab that says 6800GT. Look on the left side for temperature settings. In there, it will show the GPU temp. Let us know what that is, under load and idle.

My System:
<A HREF="http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org" target="_new">http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org</A>

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I had an overheating problem with my BFG 6800 GT 256 MB AGP when running 3DMark, but I fixed it merely by taking the case sides off...

Perhaps you can get similar temperature drop results?

I actually overclocked the GPU all the way to 418 Mhz on stock cooling and got 3DMark05 to run the full test without a crash with the case sides off, compared to not even the default 370 Mhz GPU core speed running with the case sides on.

Granted I have the world's crappiest (but cheapest) chassis, but I think you get the idea.

If that's not an option, you should consider a custom cooling solution. Just, um... Don't mod a CPU heatsink onto it like my friend did to his 6600 GT...

"<i>sometimes i fantasize about gyro.... one day, he will evolve into pure energy and become lord of the universe. he is love.</i>" ~Nater255

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
it's idling around 70c and hits up to 91c after about 30 minutes or so of gaming.

ambient temp reads 54c.

thanks for pointing that out, i hadn't even noticed that the temp section was there.

and yes if i open the side of the case up and stick a big house fan blowing in, the problem seems to go away. but i don't really think i should be forced to do that.