Newbie setting up wireless

Hi all,
I'm new to Wireless and need a couple of questions answered please.
I want to setup a wireless network at home but not sure what equipment
I need.

I have two PC's and a laptop. One PC is in my house with the laptop
and the other PC is about 200-250 feet away. I don't have a broadband
feed coming into the house yet but would be getting one very soon. I
would like for all PC's to be able to see each other and share info.

Do I need to buy antenna because the PC's are so far away from each
other?
To I need to buy an access point (don't really know what an access
point is!!!)
Or could I simply put and wireless card into each PC and get them to
communicate that way?

Any help is appreciated

p.s. My house is an old converted cottage with quiet thick walls,
will this matter?

Regards

If I get my sums right, 3 feet translates into 1 metre so your laptop would
be about 66m away. That would be a problem indoors. You may want to look
into an access point for this reason. Place the access point within 60m of
each other computer and follow the instructions to set it up. This should
act as a relay station in your case.

Usually an access point works like a switching hub on a wired network. It
manages the flow of traffic between wireless clients and an connect a
wireless network to a wired one. If you are getting a broadband connection,
I would suggest getting a broadband router with built in access point. This
could save you money and you wouldnt need to keep a server computer on all
the time.
The router will manage your wireless network by providing IP addresses, NAT
(internet acess to all computers) and a firewall.

Ray Taylor

"admiral giles" <peter_giles@o2.ie> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm new to Wireless and need a couple of questions answered please.
> I want to setup a wireless network at home but not sure what equipment
> I need.
>
> I have two PC's and a laptop. One PC is in my house with the laptop
> and the other PC is about 200-250 feet away. I don't have a broadband
> feed coming into the house yet but would be getting one very soon. I
> would like for all PC's to be able to see each other and share info.
>
> Do I need to buy antenna because the PC's are so far away from each
> other?
> To I need to buy an access point (don't really know what an access
> point is!!!)
> Or could I simply put and wireless card into each PC and get them to
> communicate that way?
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> p.s. My house is an old converted cottage with quiet thick walls,
> will this matter?
>

> Regards

TRENDING THREADS