  • Mice
  • Pointer
  • Windows XP
June 26, 2005 8:37:37 PM

Mouse pointer started to behave uncontrollably -- it moves quickly all over
the screen: stop-and--go... Re-boot has brought almost no improvement.
Virus check has reveled nothing abnormal. Please help with any idea!
Thanks.

More about : mouse pointer bacame uncontrollable

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:37:38 PM

Mark Shell wrote:
> Mouse pointer started to behave uncontrollably -- it moves quickly
> all over the screen: stop-and--go... Re-boot has brought almost no
> improvement. Virus check has reveled nothing abnormal. Please help
> with any idea! Thanks.

Please cross-post in the future - multi-posting can be a pain..

Wireless or wired mouse? Wireless - change the batteries..
Is it USB or PS/2? If USB, have you tried plugging it into a different USB
port?
If USB - is it plugged directly into the computer or into the keyboard/other
USB hub - plug it directly into the computer.
Is it optical? Have you cleaned the mousepad/area it is used on?
Have you tried a different mouse?
Have you removed the drivers and installed the latest drivers from the
manufacturer web page?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

clean the mouse.
Related resources
June 27, 2005 1:05:13 AM

It may be hungry?

"Mark Shell" <markashell@REMOVEearthlink.net> wrote in message
> Mouse pointer started to behave uncontrollably -- it moves quickly all
over
> the screen: stop-and--go... Re-boot has brought almost no improvement.
> Virus check has reveled nothing abnormal. Please help with any idea!
> Thanks.

August 3, 2012 12:39:49 PM

Hello, I have the same problem too with an external usb optical mouse. I don't think it is a virus or software error but the problem is in the mouse itself. Try opening the mouse (I have opened the mouse while it was jacked in, practice caution though) and gently press the sensor between your fingers. Stop pressing if the cursor calms down. Your mouse is good to go. (Except when I lift the mouse, the cursor jumps around.)
!