annoying video card

frostys

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2005
First Hi to everyone

Now with the real problem. I'm using a compaq computer and my graphical seem to have strange problem that were only fixed for 2 week when i got a new card. The problem is that most of the time, the computer fail to start when i use my agp card but it work on some time like 1 time every 10 try to boot.

Other cards that i have tried woork good everytime for test but they never stay for a long time in the computer. The card that have problem is a powercolor radeon 9550 that i have bought about 2 week ago to replace the old one (another powercolor 9550). Now the big question is am I really unlucky and burn card like crazy or something inside my computer really mess it all.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
List the specs of your computer. It could be a power issue, or just really unlucky. If this card is brand new and giving you problems, I would take it back and get another one. But, since this is your second Powercolor card giving you problems, maybe you should stay clear of that brand. Stick with a name brand like ATI. I always thought Powercolor cut corners on their cards. BTW, how long did the first card last before dying?

My System:
<A HREF="http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org" target="_new">http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your computer might have power issues. The first thing I'd check is the capacitors on the motherboard itself, since bad capacitors screw up the voltage to components plugged into the board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

frostys

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2005
comp spec

PSU : Thermaltake Butterfly 480W
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+
motherboard : ASUS A7VBX-LA
Graphic : Powercolor Radeon 9550 256mb
sound card: sound blaster audigy2 platinium
hard drive: seagate 160 gb
no-mane DRD-RW
floppy

hmmm well anything else i need to add?

for the other powercolor i'm not sure but the problem started when my power source went down because someone unplugged the powerbar