How do you make a bootable windowsXP CD?

I am trying to make a bootable CD sort of like I use to do with a disk
in Windows 98 but can not find anything about how to go about it.
Using help did not yield anything.

TIA
email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank
6 answers Last reply
More about make bootable windowsxp

    Hank wrote:
    > I am trying to make a bootable CD sort of like I use to do with a disk
    > in Windows 98 but can not find anything about how to go about it.
    > Using help did not yield anything.
    >
    > TIA
    > email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
    > TIA
    > Hank

    No special effort required; all legitimate WinXP installation CDs are
    bootable from the factory.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In article <OcXrNDoeFHA.2888@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
    Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
    >Hank wrote:
    >> I am trying to make a bootable CD sort of like I use to do with a disk
    >> in Windows 98 but can not find anything about how to go about it.
    >> Using help did not yield anything.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
    >> TIA
    >> Hank
    >

    > No special effort required; all legitimate WinXP installation CDs are
    >bootable from the factory.

    Correct for Microsoft CDs but more and more machines come with
    recovery CDs or a hidden partition on the hard disk with way of
    reimaging. If your hard disk dies on warranty they will send you a new
    disk imaged to factory software. My HP laptop didn;t come
    with a CD that could boot MS setup.

    I haven't played with it but I think BartPE (google) will
    do wnat the OP wants.

    You can make a bootable floppy or CD that contains NTLDR, boot.ini and
    not much else, but I don't think that's what the OP wants.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Bruce said, "all legitimate WinXP installation CDs".

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:d9mu9r$gft$1@panix5.panix.com,
    Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> hunted and pecked:
    > In article <OcXrNDoeFHA.2888@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
    > Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
    >> Hank wrote:
    >>> I am trying to make a bootable CD sort of like I use to do with a disk
    >>> in Windows 98 but can not find anything about how to go about it.
    >>> Using help did not yield anything.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
    >>> TIA
    >>> Hank
    >>

    >> No special effort required; all legitimate WinXP installation CDs are
    >> bootable from the factory.
    >>

    > Correct for Microsoft CDs but more and more machines come with
    > recovery CDs or a hidden partition on the hard disk with way of
    > reimaging. If your hard disk dies on warranty they will send you a new
    > disk imaged to factory software. My HP laptop didn;t come
    > with a CD that could boot MS setup.
    >
    > I haven't played with it but I think BartPE (google) will
    > do wnat the OP wants.
    >
    > You can make a bootable floppy or CD that contains NTLDR, boot.ini and
    > not much else, but I don't think that's what the OP wants.
    >

    > --
    > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    >
    > Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Thank you for the several answers I got. I do have a legal copy of
    WindowsXP from DELL but have never opened the package since it came
    pre-mounted. The reason I was asking about a bootable CD was in
    connection to my backup system using a Maxtor One touch external USB2
    hard drive and Retrospect Express bundled software. Software makes a
    "bootable iso-format image" of my C drive. First two times I did a
    backup I was able to put this file on a single CD. Last attempt it
    was too large for a single CD so procedure failed. Have this "image"
    on my Maxtor One Touch now. Guess what I need to do is dig deeper
    into how this backup system works. Must say old backup system pre-XP
    was easier to understand and use. Things are just getting too
    complicated. Thanks again.

    In article <hn42c1dc7foq04f1sdir4n3phq7khkhea7@4ax.com>,
    Hank <hgreintges@skybest.com.uk> wrote:
    >Thank you for the several answers I got. I do have a legal copy of
    >WindowsXP from DELL but have never opened the package since it came
    >pre-mounted. The reason I was asking about a bootable CD was in
    >connection to my backup system using a Maxtor One touch external USB2
    >hard drive and Retrospect Express bundled software. Software makes a
    >"bootable iso-format image" of my C drive. First two times I did a
    >backup I was able to put this file on a single CD. Last attempt it
    >was too large for a single CD so procedure failed. Have this "image"
    >on my Maxtor One Touch now. Guess what I need to do is dig deeper
    >into how this backup system works. Must say old backup system pre-XP
    >was easier to understand and use. Things are just getting too
    >complicated. Thanks again.

    I've seen the same thing. My retrospect can't fit on a CD
    but I haven't had a chance to figure out why. I have two
    ideas;

    - Retrospect includes the cummulative Windows updates and related
    uninstall folders, which grow, and grow...

    - Restore points, maybe.

    --

    On 28 Jun 2005 07:17:04 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >In article <hn42c1dc7foq04f1sdir4n3phq7khkhea7@4ax.com>,
    >Hank <hgreintges@skybest.com.uk> wrote:
    >>Thank you for the several answers I got. I do have a legal copy of
    >>WindowsXP from DELL but have never opened the package since it came
    >>pre-mounted. The reason I was asking about a bootable CD was in
    >>connection to my backup system using a Maxtor One touch external USB2
    >>hard drive and Retrospect Express bundled software. Software makes a
    >>"bootable iso-format image" of my C drive. First two times I did a
    >>backup I was able to put this file on a single CD. Last attempt it
    >>was too large for a single CD so procedure failed. Have this "image"
    >>on my Maxtor One Touch now. Guess what I need to do is dig deeper
    >>into how this backup system works. Must say old backup system pre-XP
    >>was easier to understand and use. Things are just getting too
    >>complicated. Thanks again.
    >>

    >I've seen the same thing. My retrospect can't fit on a CD
    >but I haven't had a chance to figure out why. I have two
    >ideas;
    >
    >- Retrospect includes the cummulative Windows updates and related
    >uninstall folders, which grow, and grow...
    >
    >- Restore points, maybe.
    Let me first say my copy of Retrospect is really "Retrospect
    Express" bundled with my purchased Maxtor External hard drive. Per
    Dantz site same software as retrospect BUT only one PC and no tape
    backups. When I went back and looked at the Iso-9660 imagines taken
    in the past the first was some 541 MB so fit on a single CD. The
    second was 1.1 GB so would not fit on a single CD and copy operation
    would not breech over to second CD. Started going through it again.
    This time in the process where it asks for windows installation disk I
    used it instead of the file on C drive i386. When process completed
    the iso c copy was now only 541 MB instead of 1.1 GB.During the
    process of creating image PC seemed to activate the installation CD
    quite often. My conclusion is "you can not use the file from previous
    installed windows for this operation. You must use the full
    installation CD." I have not tried to boot from this iso disk because
    it is a disaster recovery operation and am just not sure that trying
    it might change a fully operational system. So am just trusting it
    will work right now. Suggest you open Retrospect and just try
    re-making just the disaster iso disk not a full backup using original
    MS disk or copy of it see if the resulting image does not reduce to
    small size. Seems it must be something like this as most systems are
    way too big to fit on a CD.

    Hope this helps.
    email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
    TIA
    Hank

CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP