How do you make a bootable windowsXP CD?

June 26, 2005 6:51:05 PM

I am trying to make a bootable CD sort of like I use to do with a disk
in Windows 98 but can not find anything about how to go about it.
Using help did not yield anything.

TIA
email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:51:06 PM

Hank wrote:
> I am trying to make a bootable CD sort of like I use to do with a disk
> in Windows 98 but can not find anything about how to go about it.
> Using help did not yield anything.
>
> TIA
> email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
> TIA
> Hank

No special effort required; all legitimate WinXP installation CDs are
bootable from the factory.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:05:31 PM

In article <OcXrNDoeFHA.2888@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
>Hank wrote:
>> I am trying to make a bootable CD sort of like I use to do with a disk
>> in Windows 98 but can not find anything about how to go about it.
>> Using help did not yield anything.
>>
>> TIA
>> email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
>> TIA
>> Hank
>

> No special effort required; all legitimate WinXP installation CDs are
>bootable from the factory.

Correct for Microsoft CDs but more and more machines come with
recovery CDs or a hidden partition on the hard disk with way of
reimaging. If your hard disk dies on warranty they will send you a new
disk imaged to factory software. My HP laptop didn;t come
with a CD that could boot MS setup.

I haven't played with it but I think BartPE (google) will
do wnat the OP wants.

You can make a bootable floppy or CD that contains NTLDR, boot.ini and
not much else, but I don't think that's what the OP wants.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
June 26, 2005 7:34:08 PM

Bruce said, "all legitimate WinXP installation CDs".

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D 9mu9r$gft$1@panix5.panix.com,
Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> hunted and pecked:
> In article <OcXrNDoeFHA.2888@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
> Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
>> Hank wrote:
>>> I am trying to make a bootable CD sort of like I use to do with a disk
>>> in Windows 98 but can not find anything about how to go about it.
>>> Using help did not yield anything.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
>>> TIA
>>> Hank
>>

>> No special effort required; all legitimate WinXP installation CDs are
>> bootable from the factory.
>>

> Correct for Microsoft CDs but more and more machines come with
> recovery CDs or a hidden partition on the hard disk with way of
> reimaging. If your hard disk dies on warranty they will send you a new
> disk imaged to factory software. My HP laptop didn;t come
> with a CD that could boot MS setup.
>
> I haven't played with it but I think BartPE (google) will
> do wnat the OP wants.
>
> You can make a bootable floppy or CD that contains NTLDR, boot.ini and
> not much else, but I don't think that's what the OP wants.
>

> --
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
June 28, 2005 9:06:21 AM

Thank you for the several answers I got. I do have a legal copy of
WindowsXP from DELL but have never opened the package since it came
pre-mounted. The reason I was asking about a bootable CD was in
connection to my backup system using a Maxtor One touch external USB2
hard drive and Retrospect Express bundled software. Software makes a
"bootable iso-format image" of my C drive. First two times I did a
backup I was able to put this file on a single CD. Last attempt it
was too large for a single CD so procedure failed. Have this "image"
on my Maxtor One Touch now. Guess what I need to do is dig deeper
into how this backup system works. Must say old backup system pre-XP
was easier to understand and use. Things are just getting too
complicated. Thanks again.

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:34:08 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>Bruce said, "all legitimate WinXP installation CDs".

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:17:04 AM

In article <hn42c1dc7foq04f1sdir4n3phq7khkhea7@4ax.com>,
Hank <hgreintges@skybest.com.uk> wrote:
>Thank you for the several answers I got. I do have a legal copy of
>WindowsXP from DELL but have never opened the package since it came
>pre-mounted. The reason I was asking about a bootable CD was in
>connection to my backup system using a Maxtor One touch external USB2
>hard drive and Retrospect Express bundled software. Software makes a
>"bootable iso-format image" of my C drive. First two times I did a
>backup I was able to put this file on a single CD. Last attempt it
>was too large for a single CD so procedure failed. Have this "image"
>on my Maxtor One Touch now. Guess what I need to do is dig deeper
>into how this backup system works. Must say old backup system pre-XP
>was easier to understand and use. Things are just getting too
>complicated. Thanks again.

I've seen the same thing. My retrospect can't fit on a CD
but I haven't had a chance to figure out why. I have two
ideas;

- Retrospect includes the cummulative Windows updates and related
uninstall folders, which grow, and grow...

- Restore points, maybe.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
June 29, 2005 3:49:04 PM

On 28 Jun 2005 07:17:04 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>In article <hn42c1dc7foq04f1sdir4n3phq7khkhea7@4ax.com>,
>Hank <hgreintges@skybest.com.uk> wrote:
>>Thank you for the several answers I got. I do have a legal copy of
>>WindowsXP from DELL but have never opened the package since it came
>>pre-mounted. The reason I was asking about a bootable CD was in
>>connection to my backup system using a Maxtor One touch external USB2
>>hard drive and Retrospect Express bundled software. Software makes a
>>"bootable iso-format image" of my C drive. First two times I did a
>>backup I was able to put this file on a single CD. Last attempt it
>>was too large for a single CD so procedure failed. Have this "image"
>>on my Maxtor One Touch now. Guess what I need to do is dig deeper
>>into how this backup system works. Must say old backup system pre-XP
>>was easier to understand and use. Things are just getting too
>>complicated. Thanks again.
>>

>I've seen the same thing. My retrospect can't fit on a CD
>but I haven't had a chance to figure out why. I have two
>ideas;
>
>- Retrospect includes the cummulative Windows updates and related
>uninstall folders, which grow, and grow...
>
>- Restore points, maybe.
Let me first say my copy of Retrospect is really "Retrospect
Express" bundled with my purchased Maxtor External hard drive. Per
Dantz site same software as retrospect BUT only one PC and no tape
backups. When I went back and looked at the Iso-9660 imagines taken
in the past the first was some 541 MB so fit on a single CD. The
second was 1.1 GB so would not fit on a single CD and copy operation
would not breech over to second CD. Started going through it again.
This time in the process where it asks for windows installation disk I
used it instead of the file on C drive i386. When process completed
the iso c copy was now only 541 MB instead of 1.1 GB.During the
process of creating image PC seemed to activate the installation CD
quite often. My conclusion is "you can not use the file from previous
installed windows for this operation. You must use the full
installation CD." I have not tried to boot from this iso disk because
it is a disaster recovery operation and am just not sure that trying
it might change a fully operational system. So am just trusting it
will work right now. Suggest you open Retrospect and just try
re-making just the disaster iso disk not a full backup using original
MS disk or copy of it see if the resulting image does not reduce to
small size. Seems it must be something like this as most systems are
way too big to fit on a CD.

Hope this helps.
!