HyperGL

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2005
I am going to buy a new PC system only for working with 3D models... but i am not sure about which GRAPHIC card is the best to choose... i was looking the ATI RADEON FireGL V3200 with 128MB.... but... can i compare it to any other GAMING card? like the ATI RADEON x800???? does the FireGL really works better (faster) than the gaming cards when rendering?

can anyone help me... i have to buy it in the next 2 weeks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hah! Watch your step here, you could actually get a better card for your application by getting a gaming card. Let me explain:

Let's look at GeForce cards, since those are fairly powerfull in OGL. Now, a 6600GT is a nice card, it cost around $150. You could probably get an identical Quadro card for around $800. And you'd think "Gee, a Quadro is a fairly good card".

But you could instead get a 6800GT, which would be far more powerful than a 6600GT, or even the Quadro based on the 6600GT. And the 6800GT would only cost you $300. In fact, there's probably a Quadro version of it, for around $1200!

EVGA has a 512MB 6800GT that supports dual-link DVI for huge, high-resolution digital flat panels. It also supports VGA of course. In fact, for professional applications that's probably what I'd choose.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
Videocards do nothing for rendering; high-end cards *can* help by making viewport refreshes (frames-per-second) faster though.

But any 6800gt/ultra is a great card for CAD, in my experience. Quadros are basically regular gaming Geforces that can use special drivers that give them boosted viewport performance, but screw up gaming capabilities most of the time.

3drendering

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
We can assign our creation some Photorealistic effects, which will give the creation a real 3D Look. JWS-Chinese 3D Architectural Rendering Services Company. jwyds.com