adding an IDE hdd to a DELL D5000

Hello group,

I have an old IDE-40GB hdd lying around with some data on it.
I would like to temporarely hook it up to my Dimension 5000 to copy the data
from that IDE hdd.

But.....The D5000 has only one IDE connector on the motherboard. To that
connector the DVD rom and DVD RW are connected (on the same ribbon cable).

How can I hook up the IDE hdd to the D5000 with as less hassle as possible?
Just remove the DVD RW from the cable and plug the hdd on? And how should
the hdd be set? (slave/master/cable select)?

Pls. remember it's only for a few minutes, to copy the data from that hdd on
the D5000 own (SATA) hdd.

--

groet/regards, Folkert
3 answers Last reply

    Unplug an optical drive, jumper the hard drive cable select and plug it in.

    Tom
    "FJ" <reply.in.newsgroup@nl.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I have an old IDE-40GB hdd lying around with some data on it.
    > I would like to temporarely hook it up to my Dimension 5000 to copy the
    > data from that IDE hdd.
    >
    > But.....The D5000 has only one IDE connector on the motherboard. To that
    > connector the DVD rom and DVD RW are connected (on the same ribbon cable).
    >
    > How can I hook up the IDE hdd to the D5000 with as less hassle as
    > possible?
    > Just remove the DVD RW from the cable and plug the hdd on? And how should
    > the hdd be set? (slave/master/cable select)?
    >
    > Pls. remember it's only for a few minutes, to copy the data from that hdd
    > on the D5000 own (SATA) hdd.
    >
    > --
    >

    > groet/regards, Folkert

    I had my backup HDD in my old XPS system and I plan on installing it in my
    new 8400 system and like you both my ide inputs are taken my the DVD and DVD
    RW so I picked up a Promise card to pop in and I will use the old HDD as my
    backup once again. Sounds like it would work for you as long as you have a
    slot open for it...

    "FJ" <reply.in.newsgroup@nl.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I have an old IDE-40GB hdd lying around with some data on it.
    > I would like to temporarely hook it up to my Dimension 5000 to copy the
    > data from that IDE hdd.
    >
    > But.....The D5000 has only one IDE connector on the motherboard. To that
    > connector the DVD rom and DVD RW are connected (on the same ribbon cable).
    >
    > How can I hook up the IDE hdd to the D5000 with as less hassle as
    > possible?
    > Just remove the DVD RW from the cable and plug the hdd on? And how should
    > the hdd be set? (slave/master/cable select)?
    >
    > Pls. remember it's only for a few minutes, to copy the data from that hdd
    > on the D5000 own (SATA) hdd.
    >
    > --
    >

    > groet/regards, Folkert

    Borrow a USB External Hard Drive Enclosure and insert your HD.

    Brian

    "FJ" <reply.in.newsgroup@nl.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I have an old IDE-40GB hdd lying around with some data on it.
    > I would like to temporarely hook it up to my Dimension 5000 to copy the
    > data from that IDE hdd.
    >
    > But.....The D5000 has only one IDE connector on the motherboard. To that
    > connector the DVD rom and DVD RW are connected (on the same ribbon cable).
    >
    > How can I hook up the IDE hdd to the D5000 with as less hassle as
    > possible?
    > Just remove the DVD RW from the cable and plug the hdd on? And how should
    > the hdd be set? (slave/master/cable select)?
    >
    > Pls. remember it's only for a few minutes, to copy the data from that hdd
    > on the D5000 own (SATA) hdd.
    >
    > --
    >

    > groet/regards, Folkert

Dell Hard Drives Cable Computers