Resetting NTFS Permissions

Using XP Home, I got a dumbass idea in my head and went through Safe Mode to
alter NTFS permissions for my USB HD. Not sure how, but I managed to lock
myself (admin) out of it. Since I no longer had access to the HD XP wouldn't
let me modify the permissions, but it did let me take ownership. I've
restored the permissions for the HD, but XP still won't let me regain access
to ZIP files I keep there (I have too many to count). Is there any way I can
set all of the HD's permissions back to default? System Restore didn't do
it.
12 answers Last reply
More about resetting ntfs permissions

    "crash_sc" <coxmarshall@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Using XP Home, I got a dumbass idea in my head and went through Safe
    > Mode to alter NTFS permissions for my USB HD. Not sure how, but I
    > managed to lock myself (admin) out of it. Since I no longer had access
    > to the HD XP wouldn't let me modify the permissions, but it did let me
    > take ownership. I've restored the permissions for the HD, but XP still
    > won't let me regain access to ZIP files I keep there (I have too many
    > to count). Is there any way I can set all of the HD's permissions back
    > to default? System Restore didn't do it.

    This may help you,

    How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222

    --
    William

    Ok, I tried using the specified command, but recieved an error message
    saying "secedit" could not be found. I figured out that I can go back into
    Safe Mode and retake ownership of all my files, but for some reason it won't
    work on subfolders and files so I have to do everything one at a time. I'd
    really rather take a shortcut.

    > Ok, I tried using the specified command, but recieved an error message
    > saying "secedit" could not be found. I figured out that I can go back
    > into Safe Mode and retake ownership of all my files, but for some reason
    > it won't work on subfolders and files so I have to do everything one at a
    > time. I'd really rather take a shortcut.

    On the screen where you take ownership make sure there is a tick in the box
    that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

    Kerry

    > On the screen where you take ownership make sure there is a tick in the
    > box
    > that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
    >
    > Kerry

    Yep, thats what I've been doing. It worked for folders and subfolders with
    only data files (images, videos, text files...) but it refuses to change the
    ownership of any folder with zip or exe files.

    >> On the screen where you take ownership make sure there is a tick in the
    >> box
    >> that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
    >>
    >> Kerry
    >>

    > Yep, thats what I've been doing. It worked for folders and subfolders with
    > only data files (images, videos, text files...) but it refuses to change
    > the ownership of any folder with zip or exe files.

    You could try the xcacls command line tool. This will allow you to change
    the permissions for taking ownership.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en

    Kerry

    Well, not sure how I did it, but it looks like I have full control over all
    of the zip files again. But the exe files are still causing problems. Under
    the security properties it shows me as having full control, but when I try
    to run one of the programs it says that the file cannot be found, and to
    make sure I have permission to access it.

    > You could try the xcacls command line tool. This will allow you to change
    > the permissions for taking ownership.

    I tried to use it to assign myself full control over the HD, but I get an
    "access denied" message.

    >> You could try the xcacls command line tool. This will allow you to change
    >> the permissions for taking ownership.
    >

    > I tried to use it to assign myself full control over the HD, but I get an
    > "access denied" message.

    Are the files encrypted with EFS? That's just a guess. At this point I'm out
    of suggestions

    Kerry

    > Are the files encrypted with EFS? That's just a guess. At this point I'm
    > out
    > of suggestions

    Nope. Thanks for all your help just the same. The one thing I don't
    understand is that the drive and the specific files show me as having
    ownership and full control. But when I go to open or copy one of the files
    it says I don't have permission. As far as I can tell its just a random
    group of programs and ISO files that are affected, everything else is fine.

    >> Are the files encrypted with EFS? That's just a guess. At this point I'm
    >> out
    >> of suggestions
    >>

    > Nope. Thanks for all your help just the same. The one thing I don't
    > understand is that the drive and the specific files show me as having
    > ownership and full control. But when I go to open or copy one of the files
    > it says I don't have permission. As far as I can tell its just a random
    > group of programs and ISO files that are affected, everything else is
    > fine.

    Can you then take ownership of that file and access it?

    Kerry

    > Can you then take ownership of that file and access it?

    With the ISO file, as far as I can tell I have ownership of it, at least
    thats what it says in the security settings. It also shows me as having full
    control of it, but when I try to copy it I get a message saying I don't have
    permission. The several exe files affected are the same way. It shows me as
    having ownership and full control but when I try to run them the message
    says the file cannot be found and to make sure I have permission and that
    the file is not write-protected. Accessing the NTFS settings through Safe
    Mode in XP Home is the same as the settings you can access with Pro isn't
    it?
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    >> Can you then take ownership of that file and access it?
    >>

    > With the ISO file, as far as I can tell I have ownership of it, at least
    > thats what it says in the security settings. It also shows me as having
    > full control of it, but when I try to copy it I get a message saying I
    > don't have permission. The several exe files affected are the same way. It
    > shows me as having ownership and full control but when I try to run them
    > the message says the file cannot be found and to make sure I have
    > permission and that the file is not write-protected. Accessing the NTFS
    > settings through Safe Mode in XP Home is the same as the settings you can
    > access with Pro isn't it?

    Something weird going on for sure. Try setting it so the everyone group has
    full control. Set the owner to administrator. Make sure there are no deny
    permissions set for any user or group. Deny over rides everything. Deny may
    be set for some group you are a member of. It's a stab in the dark.

    Kerry

Permissions HD Windows XP