video card to blame?

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

my computer has been hanging and restarting - the retailer identified failing
hard-drives so I bought a new one - same problem - with a clean install of xp
I get an error related to ati radeon driver (looks very similar to a post
someone else made) -I can't translate the "serious error" code I get, so how
can I be sure it is a driver problem now? also, how can I update the driver
if I can't get the computer to work long enough to do that before it hangs?
any help much appreciated
Greg

Greg, you should be able to download a different driver in Safe Mode with
Networking. And then install it in Safe Mode.
Download the ATI driver remover also. You can probably get them at
www.rage3d.com
http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76416
When you are at Rage3d scroll down to the "Most reliable Catalyst
Drivers" article.

"greg" <greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my computer has been hanging and restarting - the retailer identified
> failing
> hard-drives so I bought a new one - same problem - with a clean install of
> xp
> I get an error related to ati radeon driver (looks very similar to a post
> someone else made) -I can't translate the "serious error" code I get, so
> how
> can I be sure it is a driver problem now? also, how can I update the
> driver
> if I can't get the computer to work long enough to do that before it
> hangs?
> any help much appreciated
> Greg

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Solved! It WAS the video driver, but my workaround was to remove the video
drivers altogether (forcing XP to use the most basic generic driver)...then I
installed the latest driver from the manufacturer. Seems to work fine now. I
suspect that Windows automatically updated the video driver (one it didn't
like). I have now turned that auto-update function off. Thanks for the help.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Greg, you should be able to download a different driver in Safe Mode with
> Networking. And then install it in Safe Mode.
> Download the ATI driver remover also. You can probably get them at
> www.rage3d.com
> http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76416
> When you are at Rage3d scroll down to the "Most reliable Catalyst
> Drivers" article.
>
> "greg" <greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > my computer has been hanging and restarting - the retailer identified
> > failing
> > hard-drives so I bought a new one - same problem - with a clean install of
> > xp
> > I get an error related to ati radeon driver (looks very similar to a post
> > someone else made) -I can't translate the "serious error" code I get, so
> > how
> > can I be sure it is a driver problem now? also, how can I update the
> > driver
> > if I can't get the computer to work long enough to do that before it
> > hangs?
> > any help much appreciated
> > Greg

TRENDING THREADS