Graphics Card for Maya?

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Hey guys..
A friend of mine asks me to build a pc for her, (she's still using a PentiumII 400MHz with an ATI AIW Pro..) which will mainly be using Maya, and other graphics design programs..
I went to Maya's web site, here is the system requirement for Maya:

Windows: Intel® Pentium® III or higher, AMD Athlon™ processor
Macintosh: Power Mac® G4 and G5
512 MB RAM
CD-ROM Drive
Hardware-Accelerated OpenGL® graphics card
3-button mouse with mouse driver software
450 MB of hard disk space

This looks like an easy job, but I would like to hear your opinion, not only about graphics card, but any suggestion for the system would be appreciated as well!
Thanks for any inputs!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
nVidia does better in OGL than ATI, I included SPEC Viewperf Maya scores in my last video card review.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
Maya? Suggestions?

1. The fastest Athlon64 CPU she can afford
2. The fastest memory she can afford
3. A nice DFI mobo ;)
4. An Nvidia card. If she never plays games - a quadro if she can afford it... the QuadroFX 540 is a cheap and awesome CAD card for the price.
If she plays games, get a Geforce 6800GT instead.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
what about the GeForceFX series? like 5700 or 5900? since QuadroFX are based on them, would they provide enough performance?
Cuz she's actually quite budget limited..

cleeve

Illustrious
The non-quadro GeforceFX cards suck. If you need to go cheap, you're better off with a GeforceFX 6200, or better yet a vanilla 6600.