Asus laptop battery problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger1948

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I have just bought a new battery for my Asus A7U and the error message no battery detected comes up as well as the battery not charging. The orange charge light just keeps flashing. The supplier has changes the battery for another one and the same is happening. They are at a loss to explain this. I have recently upgraded to Windows 7. Could this be a software issue?

Solution
Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company and we come across this a lot...

Its the COPY (NON ORIGINAL) battery..

Think about it.... old battery (original) NO errors , apart from not lasting long, then you put in a so called copy battery and its not seen....

Its the COPY battery that's at fault...NOT software...

All the best Brett :)

cl-scott

Honorable
So just to make sure I'm understanding things correctly, you have tested two batteries with the laptop and both of them give you the same symptoms? If that's the case, ideally you could get someone to test the output voltage on your AC adapter, but the most probable scenario is that the motherboard needs to be replaced.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Are you sure the battery is the correct type for your laptop?
Is it an official asus battery? Usually, aftermarket parts are fine, but if it's not working, it maybe the manufacturers fault. It could also be that your laptop detects that it's a 3rd party battery and disables it.

You can remove your hard drive completely and the battery should still charge, Windows isn't involved.

badger1948

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
A/C adapter is working fine. Now on my third battery and with some tweaking in device manager I can get the error message to change to plugged in but not charging. Is it to do with the battery driver as I have upgraded to windows 7 from vista. From other message boards this seems a common problem which Microsoft have recognised but don't seem to have put it right! Old batter is fine, it just doesn't hold a charge for longer than about 30 minutes. Over to you!

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Does your laptop have an indicator light that also shows that there is a battery issue?

As far as I know, windows simply indicates the state of the battery and charge system, it does not control charging.

If the problem had anything to do with Windows, your computer would be able to charge while powered off but not while windows was running.

If you replace the battery, and now you have a bunch of charging errors and warnings, why would you suspect anything other than the battery?
Return the battery you have bought for a refund and try a different manufacturer, to me it sounds like the battery you bought isn't very compatible with your laptop model.

cl-scott

Honorable

It's up to you if you want to continue trying to troubleshoot the issue, but I'd say you've met the minimum bar for justifying an RMA.

Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company and we come across this a lot...

Its the COPY (NON ORIGINAL) battery..

Think about it.... old battery (original) NO errors , apart from not lasting long, then you put in a so called copy battery and its not seen....

Its the COPY battery that's at fault...NOT software...

All the best Brett :)

Solution

badger1948

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Great answer Brett. Just had a techy look at my laptop and he agrees completely. Now need a knackered Asus A7U with a good battery or pay the high price for a genuine battery. Thanks for the posts

Zero4ce

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016

It can be an issue with the AC adapter itself. But please do try these steps that may help.
- Remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Plug just the charger and power it on. Once it's on plug the battery in and see if it will charge normally.
- Do test the AC adapter using a multi meter and see if it's giving enough voltage to power and charger the laptop.
- Lastly, try another AC adapter and see if the same problem will persist.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2844258/laptop-charging-orange-light-blinking.html

May 31, 2018
I have the exact same problem with the original battery which says 100% charged. I have a blinking charge light and "battery not detected" message, so it's not necessarily the replacement battery you used.

matthew_276

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
its a common problem with ASUS

if your battery light is blinking - restart your laptop - during the ASUS splash screen hold the power button down and keep it held until the laptop shuts off and the batter light stops blinking

get ready to do it once every few months because its only a temporary solution. i still dont know what causes the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.