Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus laptop battery problem

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
November 12, 2012 1:41:00 PM

I have just bought a new battery for my Asus A7U and the error message no battery detected comes up as well as the battery not charging. The orange charge light just keeps flashing. The supplier has changes the battery for another one and the same is happening. They are at a loss to explain this. I have recently upgraded to Windows 7. Could this be a software issue?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b D Laptop
November 12, 2012 5:06:03 PM

So just to make sure I'm understanding things correctly, you have tested two batteries with the laptop and both of them give you the same symptoms? If that's the case, ideally you could get someone to test the output voltage on your AC adapter, but the most probable scenario is that the motherboard needs to be replaced.
m
l
November 12, 2012 6:40:30 PM

Are you sure the battery is the correct type for your laptop?
Is it an official asus battery? Usually, aftermarket parts are fine, but if it's not working, it maybe the manufacturers fault. It could also be that your laptop detects that it's a 3rd party battery and disables it.

You can remove your hard drive completely and the battery should still charge, Windows isn't involved.
m
l
Related resources
November 19, 2012 10:28:27 AM

A/C adapter is working fine. Now on my third battery and with some tweaking in device manager I can get the error message to change to plugged in but not charging. Is it to do with the battery driver as I have upgraded to windows 7 from vista. From other message boards this seems a common problem which Microsoft have recognised but don't seem to have put it right! Old batter is fine, it just doesn't hold a charge for longer than about 30 minutes. Over to you!
m
l
November 19, 2012 12:37:20 PM

Does your laptop have an indicator light that also shows that there is a battery issue?

As far as I know, windows simply indicates the state of the battery and charge system, it does not control charging.

If the problem had anything to do with Windows, your computer would be able to charge while powered off but not while windows was running.

If you replace the battery, and now you have a bunch of charging errors and warnings, why would you suspect anything other than the battery?
Return the battery you have bought for a refund and try a different manufacturer, to me it sounds like the battery you bought isn't very compatible with your laptop model.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b D Laptop
November 19, 2012 6:00:54 PM

badger1948 said:
A/C adapter is working fine. Now on my third battery and with some tweaking in device manager I can get the error message to change to plugged in but not charging. Is it to do with the battery driver as I have upgraded to windows 7 from vista. From other message boards this seems a common problem which Microsoft have recognised but don't seem to have put it right! Old batter is fine, it just doesn't hold a charge for longer than about 30 minutes. Over to you!

It's up to you if you want to continue trying to troubleshoot the issue, but I'd say you've met the minimum bar for justifying an RMA.
m
l

Best solution

a c 249 D Laptop
November 19, 2012 6:10:21 PM

Hi :) 

I own a laptop repair company and we come across this a lot...

Its the COPY (NON ORIGINAL) battery..

Think about it.... old battery (original) NO errors , apart from not lasting long, then you put in a so called copy battery and its not seen....

Its the COPY battery that's at fault...NOT software...

All the best Brett :) 
November 29, 2012 5:38:28 PM

Best answer selected by badger1948.
m
l
November 29, 2012 6:32:54 PM

Great answer Brett. Just had a techy look at my laptop and he agrees completely. Now need a knackered Asus A7U with a good battery or pay the high price for a genuine battery. Thanks for the posts
m
l
a c 249 D Laptop
November 29, 2012 8:19:40 PM

badger1948 said:
Great answer Brett. Just had a techy look at my laptop and he agrees completely. Now need a knackered Asus A7U with a good battery or pay the high price for a genuine battery. Thanks for the posts

Hi :) 

YVW :) 

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
!