Advise on adding wireless to home LAN

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
April 26, 2004 8:49:36 AM

Hi all.

I am after some advise re setting up a wireless access point on my LAN
at home. I currently have two XP Pro machines, one connected to the
internet via ISDN, to remote for adsl yet, and acting as a gateway via
vsocks. The second machine connects through the gateway box. I'm not
using ICS for this as I found it caused more problems than it was
worth.

I want to add a wireless access point to this setup and have a Linksys
WAP11 available. This doesn't seem to let me access at present. Have I
got this wrong or should I be using something else on the network? I'm
very rusty with all this.

Many thanks
Kev
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 28, 2004 1:06:26 AM

On 27 Apr 2004 00:26:50 -0700, kev@kenninghall.org.uk (Kev) wrote:

>I can access the confige from the browser and I I have set the WAP11
>to 192.168.2.251 with the xp boxes as 192.168.2.1 and .2 I've also set
>the WAP11 gateway IP to 192.168.2.1 which is the machine with the isdn
>card in it.

so the PCs are wired and both can ping the WAP11, yes ?

where does the wireless client come into this, I've slept since
yesterday. Can you ping the AP from the wireless client, can you ping
the XP boxes, or is 192.168.2.2 a wireless client.

BTW what's the right subnet mask to use with 192.168.2.x addresses,
255.255.0.0 ?

Phil
April 28, 2004 4:43:04 AM

Phil Thompson <cynical_observer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<96ft805ont2749v9cdq4td1hsiavrhh1fg@4ax.com>...
> On 27 Apr 2004 00:26:50 -0700, kev@kenninghall.org.uk (Kev) wrote:
>
> >I can access the confige from the browser and I I have set the WAP11
> >to 192.168.2.251 with the xp boxes as 192.168.2.1 and .2 I've also set
> >the WAP11 gateway IP to 192.168.2.1 which is the machine with the isdn
> >card in it.
>
> so the PCs are wired and both can ping the WAP11, yes ?
Yes. I can ping from within the wired network without problem. In fact
I can see each machine from the other and access the internet and
access the AP config screen all from within the wired network

> where does the wireless client come into this, I've slept since
> yesterday. Can you ping the AP from the wireless client, can you ping
> the XP boxes, or is 192.168.2.2 a wireless client.

The wireless client is an ipaq 5550 PDA and that doesn't want to play
at all. It see's the AP and connects to it but will not let me connect
to any of the wired machines or the internet. I'm getting a new laptop
for work today with wifi so I'll try that as well. As the PDA works on
other peoples networks ok I reckon it's my setup of the network thats
at fault.

> BTW what's the right subnet mask to use with 192.168.2.x addresses,
> 255.255.0.0 ?

Not sure. I must admit I just set it up as 255.255.255.0 and haven't
tried anything else.

I have taken the vsocks server out of the equation and set up ICS on
the gateway machine for the moment to see if I was getting a problem
from that. Doesn't seemed to have changed anything.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 28, 2004 9:14:09 AM

The 192 in the first octet of the IP address indicates a Class C network.
The default mask for a Class C network is 255.255.255.0 . With your use of
host numbers ranging from 1 to 251 I would stick with the default.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+

!