No RED on DVD playback

A couple months ago my DVD player quit displaying red, which makes for
interesting movie playbacks!
WindowsXP and its applications show Red, Blue & Green O.K., which means the
monitor and video card are good, so I assumed it was the DVD player, which I
took as an opportunity to get a new DVD Burner.
But, I have the same problem. It's not caused by the DVD player software, as
I get the same results from PowerDVD and Windows Media Player.
Hmmm... only other piece of the puzzle was the IDE cable from the DVD to the
mainboard; replaced that, still no reds!
Sherlock 2.0 says all my codecs are good -- anybody got a clue?
1 answer Last reply
More about playback

    Kolache wrote:
    > A couple months ago my DVD player quit displaying red, which makes for
    > interesting movie playbacks!
    > WindowsXP and its applications show Red, Blue & Green O.K., which
    > means the monitor and video card are good, so I assumed it was the
    > DVD player, which I took as an opportunity to get a new DVD Burner.
    > But, I have the same problem. It's not caused by the DVD player
    > software, as I get the same results from PowerDVD and Windows Media
    > Player.
    > Hmmm... only other piece of the puzzle was the IDE cable from the DVD
    > to the mainboard; replaced that, still no reds!
    > Sherlock 2.0 says all my codecs are good -- anybody got a clue?

    The DVDs play back OKAY in a regular (stand-alone) player?
    I would personally uninstall all codecs/applications you have, reboot and
    reinstall just one DVD player - to try and eliminate all software issues.

    Then I would look into possibly a hardware glitch.. While you have replaced
    the cable and the drive - you have done nothing to the other piece of
    hardware - the controller (likely on the motherboard) it connects to. =(

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

DVD Players Windows XP