No RED on DVD playback

June 27, 2005 12:38:01 AM

A couple months ago my DVD player quit displaying red, which makes for
interesting movie playbacks!
WindowsXP and its applications show Red, Blue & Green O.K., which means the
monitor and video card are good, so I assumed it was the DVD player, which I
took as an opportunity to get a new DVD Burner.
But, I have the same problem. It's not caused by the DVD player software, as
I get the same results from PowerDVD and Windows Media Player.
Hmmm... only other piece of the puzzle was the IDE cable from the DVD to the
mainboard; replaced that, still no reds!
Sherlock 2.0 says all my codecs are good -- anybody got a clue?

More about : red dvd playback

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:53:19 AM

Kolache wrote:
> A couple months ago my DVD player quit displaying red, which makes for
> interesting movie playbacks!
> WindowsXP and its applications show Red, Blue & Green O.K., which
> means the monitor and video card are good, so I assumed it was the
> DVD player, which I took as an opportunity to get a new DVD Burner.
> But, I have the same problem. It's not caused by the DVD player
> software, as I get the same results from PowerDVD and Windows Media
> Player.
> Hmmm... only other piece of the puzzle was the IDE cable from the DVD
> to the mainboard; replaced that, still no reds!
> Sherlock 2.0 says all my codecs are good -- anybody got a clue?

The DVDs play back OKAY in a regular (stand-alone) player?
I would personally uninstall all codecs/applications you have, reboot and
reinstall just one DVD player - to try and eliminate all software issues.

Then I would look into possibly a hardware glitch.. While you have replaced
the cable and the drive - you have done nothing to the other piece of
hardware - the controller (likely on the motherboard) it connects to. =(

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP