Problem with start Menu in XP

June 27, 2005 6:06:05 PM

I have a problem that I have never encountered before and am asking for help
please.

I have lost the ability to right click a program in my start menu and pin it
or make a short cut etc.

When I click any program group in my start menu nothing happens.

I am not using the classic start menu.

Can anyone please offer some help with this problem?

Thanks

Jim

More about : problem start menu

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:17:17 PM

Sorry for the double post

"Jim_SOHO" <JimSoHo@OutThere Inc.> wrote in message
>I have a problem that I have never encountered before and am asking for
>help please.
>
> I have lost the ability to right click a program in my start menu and pin
> it or make a short cut etc.
>
> When I click any program group in my start menu nothing happens.
>
> I am not using the classic start menu.
>
> Can anyone please offer some help with this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:20:10 PM

Enable Drag n Drop in Start's Properties.

"Jim_SOHO" <JimSoHo@OutThere Inc.> wrote in message news:42bf7b33$1@duster.adelaide.on.net...
>I have a problem that I have never encountered before and am asking for help
> please.
>
> I have lost the ability to right click a program in my start menu and pin it
> or make a short cut etc.
>
> When I click any program group in my start menu nothing happens.
>
> I am not using the classic start menu.
>
> Can anyone please offer some help with this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim

June 27, 2005 6:27:47 PM

David, can you tell me how to do that please ?

Thanks

Jim

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:o nKpF%23seFHA.2584@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Enable Drag n Drop in Start's Properties.

"Jim_SOHO" <JimSoHo@OutThere Inc.> wrote in message
>I have a problem that I have never encountered before and am asking for
>help
> please.
>
> I have lost the ability to right click a program in my start menu and pin
> it
> or make a short cut etc.
>
> When I click any program group in my start menu nothing happens.
>
> I am not using the classic start menu.
>
> Can anyone please offer some help with this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:27:48 PM

Jim_SOHO wrote:
> David, can you tell me how to do that please ?

I'm not David, but hopefully he will not mind my chirping in here -
continuing his good work.

Right-Click the Start Button, select "Properties".. In there you will find a
tab for taskbar and a tab for start menu.. select the start menu tab. Then
click on the "Customize" button and the "Advanced tab". In the scroll
list - find "Enable Dragging and Dropping" and make sure it is checked. OK
your way out.

Strangely - if I searched with the built-in help and support for the obvious
terms - I find no refrence on how to do this.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

David, I found it.

Thank you very much for your help, it was one of those things that was going
to drive me nuts !

Thanks again,

Jim

> David, can you tell me how to do that please ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:o nKpF%23seFHA.2584@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Enable Drag n Drop in Start's Properties.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Jim_SOHO" <JimSoHo@OutThere Inc.> wrote in message
>>I have a problem that I have never encountered before and am asking for
>>help
>> please.
>>
>> I have lost the ability to right click a program in my start menu and pin
>> it
>> or make a short cut etc.
>>
>> When I click any program group in my start menu nothing happens.
>>
>> I am not using the classic start menu.
>>
>> Can anyone please offer some help with this problem?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jim

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:57:33 PM

The name of it is not obvious either.

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message news:erq3eIteFHA.2244@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Jim_SOHO wrote:
>> I have a problem that I have never encountered before and am asking
>> for help
>> please.
>>
>> I have lost the ability to right click a program in my start menu
>> and pin it or make a short cut etc.
>>
>> When I click any program group in my start menu nothing happens.
>> I am not using the classic start menu.
>>
>> Can anyone please offer some help with this problem?
>
> David Candy wrote:
>> Enable Drag n Drop in Start's Properties.
>
> Jim_SOHO wrote:
>> David, can you tell me how to do that please ?
>
> I'm not David, but hopefully he will not mind my chirping in here -
> continuing his good work.
>
> Right-Click the Start Button, select "Properties".. In there you will find a
> tab for taskbar and a tab for start menu.. select the start menu tab. Then
> click on the "Customize" button and the "Advanced tab". In the scroll
> list - find "Enable Dragging and Dropping" and make sure it is checked. OK
> your way out.
>
> Strangely - if I searched with the built-in help and support for the obvious
> terms - I find no refrence on how to do this.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

June 27, 2005 9:30:31 PM

I really appreciate the help, its a terrific resource to be able to hop on
and get terrific help from knowledgeable and friendly folk.

Thanks once again,