Problem with start Menu in XP

I have a problem that I have never encountered before and am asking for help
please.

I have lost the ability to right click a program in my start menu and pin it
or make a short cut etc.

When I click any program group in my start menu nothing happens.

I am not using the classic start menu.

Can anyone please offer some help with this problem?

Thanks

Jim
7 answers Last reply
More about problem start menu

    Sorry for the double post

    "Jim_SOHO" <JimSoHo@OutThere Inc.> wrote in message
    >I have a problem that I have never encountered before and am asking for
    >help please.
    >
    > I have lost the ability to right click a program in my start menu and pin
    > it or make a short cut etc.
    >
    > When I click any program group in my start menu nothing happens.
    >
    > I am not using the classic start menu.
    >
    > Can anyone please offer some help with this problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jim

    Enable Drag n Drop in Start's Properties.

    "Jim_SOHO" <JimSoHo@OutThere Inc.> wrote in message news:42bf7b33$1@duster.adelaide.on.net...
    >I have a problem that I have never encountered before and am asking for help
    > please.
    >
    > I have lost the ability to right click a program in my start menu and pin it
    > or make a short cut etc.
    >
    > When I click any program group in my start menu nothing happens.
    >
    > I am not using the classic start menu.
    >
    > Can anyone please offer some help with this problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jim

    David, can you tell me how to do that please ?

    Thanks

    Jim

    Jim_SOHO wrote:
    > David, can you tell me how to do that please ?

    I'm not David, but hopefully he will not mind my chirping in here -
    continuing his good work.

    Right-Click the Start Button, select "Properties".. In there you will find a
    tab for taskbar and a tab for start menu.. select the start menu tab. Then
    click on the "Customize" button and the "Advanced tab". In the scroll
    list - find "Enable Dragging and Dropping" and make sure it is checked. OK
    your way out.

    Strangely - if I searched with the built-in help and support for the obvious
    terms - I find no refrence on how to do this.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    David, I found it.

    Thank you very much for your help, it was one of those things that was going
    to drive me nuts !

    Thanks again,

    Jim

    > David, can you tell me how to do that please ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > Enable Drag n Drop in Start's Properties.

    > "Jim_SOHO" <JimSoHo@OutThere Inc.> wrote in message
    >>I have a problem that I have never encountered before and am asking for
    >>help
    >> please.
    >>
    >> I have lost the ability to right click a program in my start menu and pin
    >> it
    >> or make a short cut etc.
    >>
    >> When I click any program group in my start menu nothing happens.
    >>
    >> I am not using the classic start menu.
    >>
    >> Can anyone please offer some help with this problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Jim

    The name of it is not obvious either.

    "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message news:erq3eIteFHA.2244@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Jim_SOHO wrote:
    >> I have a problem that I have never encountered before and am asking
    >> for help
    >> please.
    >>
    >> I have lost the ability to right click a program in my start menu
    >> and pin it or make a short cut etc.
    >>
    >> When I click any program group in my start menu nothing happens.
    >> I am not using the classic start menu.
    >>
    >> Can anyone please offer some help with this problem?
    >
    > David Candy wrote:
    >> Enable Drag n Drop in Start's Properties.
    >
    > Jim_SOHO wrote:
    >> David, can you tell me how to do that please ?
    >
    > I'm not David, but hopefully he will not mind my chirping in here -
    > continuing his good work.
    >
    > Right-Click the Start Button, select "Properties".. In there you will find a
    > tab for taskbar and a tab for start menu.. select the start menu tab. Then
    > click on the "Customize" button and the "Advanced tab". In the scroll
    > list - find "Enable Dragging and Dropping" and make sure it is checked. OK
    > your way out.
    >
    > Strangely - if I searched with the built-in help and support for the obvious
    > terms - I find no refrence on how to do this.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    I really appreciate the help, its a terrific resource to be able to hop on
    and get terrific help from knowledgeable and friendly folk.

    Thanks once again,

    The name of it is not obvious either.

    > Jim_SOHO wrote:
    >> I have a problem that I have never encountered before and am asking
    >> for help
    >> please.
    >>
    >> I have lost the ability to right click a program in my start menu
    >> and pin it or make a short cut etc.
    >>
    >> When I click any program group in my start menu nothing happens.
    >> I am not using the classic start menu.
    >>
    >> Can anyone please offer some help with this problem?
    >
    > David Candy wrote:
    >> Enable Drag n Drop in Start's Properties.
    >
    > Jim_SOHO wrote:
    >> David, can you tell me how to do that please ?
    >
    > I'm not David, but hopefully he will not mind my chirping in here -
    > continuing his good work.
    >
    > Right-Click the Start Button, select "Properties".. In there you will find
    > tab for taskbar and a tab for start menu.. select the start menu tab.
    > Then
    > click on the "Customize" button and the "Advanced tab". In the scroll
    > list - find "Enable Dragging and Dropping" and make sure it is checked.
    > OK
    > your way out.
    >
    > Strangely - if I searched with the built-in help and support for the
    > obvious
    > terms - I find no refrence on how to do this.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --