GDDR3 SDRAM
PCI Express 16x

and

nVidia GeForce 6600 GT (147 USD)
400MHz / Core 500MHz / Memory 1000MHz
128MB / Memory Bus 128bit
DDR3 SDRAM
PCI Express 16X

I don't really play any complex games, and I am more concerned that My movies have good graphics, and also I need to multitask a lot. Which would be the smarter choice

thanks
Ralph

honsbeekgmail

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
SO what you're saying is i DON'T need all that power if I don't play that many games anyways...???
Wouldn't the total system be faster overall ??? If I choose one of the two faster cards??

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
NEGATORY

the video card itself doesnt impact how fast your computer processess data. just how fast and how much graphics it can process.

if you're not processing vasts ammount of graphics, than your video card will tend to sit idle most of the time.

Processing video's like AVI's and DVD's requires little to no power these days. virtually all modern graphics cards and virtually all graphics cards from say the last 10 generations had built in MPG decoding. not to mention that any CPU these days has MORE than enough power to render and process a video with no interference to anything else.

if you werent ever going to game at all, I would just say get integrated graphics controller since nothing would require 3D rendering. but for minor gaming you want a little bit of 3D rendering. All graphics cards do it just depends on how well.

if you're not a gamer and don't want 1000000000 FPS at ludicrous resolutions. but content with 30 fps at decent resolutions, you don't need to spend the vast ammounts of money for a high end card.

Buying a 7800 or even a 6600 would be overkill. the only reason I'd recommend a 6600gt though for you is longevity. based upon your requirements, you could live with that card for the next 10 years.

otherwise if you're buying for nwo and don't care about longevity, a Geforce 6200 (NOT TURBO CARGED) or X300 will be more than adequate... heck, if you can find a cheap 9200 you'll be set too

honsbeekgmail

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
TO mpasternak:::

Thanks for the feedback ,

But if I decide to go with a X300, and later I would want to play a game because i'm bored , then I would have a little problem , if graphic card specs can't keep up with games of the furute... How's your take on color difference between the Nvidia and ATI cards, I was told the ATI color quality is somewhat brighter and better...

thanks
ralph