Control Panel Missing

Somehow the control panel is missing from all views (start menu, explorer,
etc). When I double click on a .cpl file, I get a message that I don't have
permission, to see the administrator). I am the only user on this machine and
I am the administator. How do I reestablish this? XPHome, SP2
3 answers Last reply
More about control panel missing

    Are you use a third-party tweak program or so?

    This problem happens if the NoControlPanel policy is enabled.

    1. Create a registry backup or a System Restore point
    2. Start Regedit.exe and navigate to these locations:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    -and-
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

    3. Delete the NoControlPanel value in the right-pane
    4. Close Regedit.exe and restart

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "hub cap" <hubcap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Somehow the control panel is missing from all views (start menu, explorer,
    > etc). When I double click on a .cpl file, I get a message that I don't
    > have
    > permission, to see the administrator). I am the only user on this machine
    > and
    > I am the administator. How do I reestablish this? XPHome, SP2

    Thanks, this fixed the problem. TweakUI seemed to be the culprit.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Are you use a third-party tweak program or so?
    >
    > This problem happens if the NoControlPanel policy is enabled.
    >
    > 1. Create a registry backup or a System Restore point
    > 2. Start Regedit.exe and navigate to these locations:
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    > -and-
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    >
    > 3. Delete the NoControlPanel value in the right-pane
    > 4. Close Regedit.exe and restart
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "hub cap" <hubcap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Somehow the control panel is missing from all views (start menu, explorer,
    > > etc). When I double click on a .cpl file, I get a message that I don't
    > > have
    > > permission, to see the administrator). I am the only user on this machine
    > > and
    > > I am the administator. How do I reestablish this? XPHome, SP2

    You're welcome. I'm unsure if TweakUI offers this option. Anyways, it's the
    user that have enabled this restriction.

    --

    > Thanks, this fixed the problem. TweakUI seemed to be the culprit.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Are you use a third-party tweak program or so?
    >>
    >> This problem happens if the NoControlPanel policy is enabled.
    >>
    >> 1. Create a registry backup or a System Restore point
    >> 2. Start Regedit.exe and navigate to these locations:
    >>
    >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    >> -and-
    >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    >>
    >> 3. Delete the NoControlPanel value in the right-pane

Control Panel Support Start Menu Microsoft Windows XP