Netgear MR814 Question

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
April 26, 2004 4:52:28 PM

Hi - Quick question for the experts... I've got a wireless network built
around a Netgear MR814 router. Don't know a lot about what I'm doing, but it
works fine. I would like to occasionally be able to temporarily disable the
wireless feature, allowing network access only to computers wired directly
to the router. Is there a software or hardware setting that lets me do that
easily? Thanks for your help,
OC

More about : netgear mr814 question

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 27, 2004 12:19:00 AM

"OC" <oc@sc.rr.nononono.com> wrote in message
> Hi - Quick question for the experts... I've got a wireless network built
> around a Netgear MR814 router. Don't know a lot about what I'm doing, but
it
> works fine. I would like to occasionally be able to temporarily disable
the
> wireless feature, allowing network access only to computers wired directly
> to the router. Is there a software or hardware setting that lets me do
that
> easily? Thanks for your help,

dont need an expert for this - its in the manual :)

firmware for the 814v2 v 5.03 - a tick box on the wireless settings screen.

--
Regards

a b F Wireless
April 27, 2004 2:47:41 AM

Unless you've changed the router's IP address (and I recommend that
you do) type in 192.168.0.1 in your browser window. Type admin in the
username box and type password in the password box. Once you're
inside the router's settings menu, uncheck the wireless box in the
wireless section of the menu. These instructions are in the manual.
If you haven't done so, change the default password as well as the
default IP address. And by all means, enable WEP. Hope this helps.

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:52:28 GMT, "OC" <oc@sc.rr.nononono.com> wrote:

>Hi - Quick question for the experts... I've got a wireless network built
>around a Netgear MR814 router. Don't know a lot about what I'm doing, but it
>works fine. I would like to occasionally be able to temporarily disable the
>wireless feature, allowing network access only to computers wired directly
>to the router. Is there a software or hardware setting that lets me do that
>easily? Thanks for your help,
>OC

Related resources
April 27, 2004 6:23:53 PM

Hi Doug - Thanks for your response. I read thru both the printed install
manual and the CD documentation, but couldn't find anything that I thought
addressed the issue. Please forgive the density factor on this end, but I
need a quick follow-up. When I'm in the wireless section of the control
panel, the wireless section has two check blocks - "Allow broadcast of name
(SSID)" and "allow access from any name". To disable wireless, I want both
of these boxes unchecked? Thanks,
OC

"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Unless you've changed the router's IP address (and I recommend that
> you do) type in 192.168.0.1 in your browser window. Type admin in the
> username box and type password in the password box. Once you're
> inside the router's settings menu, uncheck the wireless box in the
> wireless section of the menu. These instructions are in the manual.
> If you haven't done so, change the default password as well as the
> default IP address. And by all means, enable WEP. Hope this helps.
>
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:52:28 GMT, "OC" <oc@sc.rr.nononono.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi - Quick question for the experts... I've got a wireless network built
> >around a Netgear MR814 router. Don't know a lot about what I'm doing, but
it
> >works fine. I would like to occasionally be able to temporarily disable
the
> >wireless feature, allowing network access only to computers wired
directly
> >to the router. Is there a software or hardware setting that lets me do
that
> >easily? Thanks for your help,
> >OC

April 27, 2004 6:30:58 PM

Hi Stephen - Thanks for your response. I dug thru the install guide and the
CD documentation before posting, but couldn't find anything I recognized as
the answer. My router is 814v1, so different firmware and perhaps different
manual. In my wireless settings section of the control panel, I have two
check blocks - "Allow Broadcast Of Name (SSID)" and "Allow Access From Any
Name". If I uncheck both boxes will that disable wireless access? Thanks,
OC

"shope" <stephen_hope@xntlxworld.com> wrote in message

> "OC" <oc@sc.rr.nononono.com> wrote in message
> > Hi - Quick question for the experts... I've got a wireless network built
> > around a Netgear MR814 router. Don't know a lot about what I'm doing,
but
> it
> > works fine. I would like to occasionally be able to temporarily disable
> the
> > wireless feature, allowing network access only to computers wired
directly
> > to the router. Is there a software or hardware setting that lets me do
> that
> > easily? Thanks for your help,
>
> dont need an expert for this - its in the manual :)
>
> firmware for the 814v2 v 5.03 - a tick box on the wireless settings
screen.

> > OC
> --
> Regards
>
> Stephen Hope - return address needs fewer xxs

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 28, 2004 12:18:05 AM

> Hi Stephen - Thanks for your response. I dug thru the install guide and
the
> CD documentation before posting, but couldn't find anything I recognized
as
> the answer. My router is 814v1, so different firmware and perhaps
different
> manual. In my wireless settings section of the control panel, I have two
> check blocks - "Allow Broadcast Of Name (SSID)" and "Allow Access From Any
> Name". If I uncheck both boxes will that disable wireless access? Thanks,

doesnt sound like it - they just alter how 802.11 broadcast and association
works.

you could always be subtle and pull the plug - wont help you use the switch
without wireless though.

> OC
>
> "shope" <stephen_hope@xntlxworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "OC" <oc@sc.rr.nononono.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi - Quick question for the experts... I've got a wireless network
built
> > > around a Netgear MR814 router. Don't know a lot about what I'm doing,
> but
> > it
> > > works fine. I would like to occasionally be able to temporarily
disable
> > the
> > > wireless feature, allowing network access only to computers wired
> directly
> > > to the router. Is there a software or hardware setting that lets me do
> > that
> > > easily? Thanks for your help,
> >
> > dont need an expert for this - its in the manual :)
> >
> > firmware for the 814v2 v 5.03 - a tick box on the wireless settings
> screen.
> >
> > > OC
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Stephen Hope - return address needs fewer xxs
--
Regards

a b F Wireless
April 28, 2004 7:00:13 AM

I have Netgear MR814v2 router. In the 'Wireless Section" in the
router's menu, you should see the words " Enable Wireless Access
Point" with a square box in front of it. To disable the wireless
portion of the router, all you have to do is uncheck that box.
Nothing else is necessary. As a matter of fact, I am using the
MR814v2 as my router with wireless disabled and I have attached my
WGR614 as my wireless access point. I hope this answers your
question. Take care.

!