wireless for travel

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 5:45:30 PM

Hi Everyone
I do a bit of traveling and want to use my laptop. What is the most
prevelant type of wireless setups used in hotels and resturants ?
In other words what kind of card should i buy for my laptop?

Thanks !!!
Ernest Gaut

More about : wireless travel

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 6:02:46 PM

> Hi Everyone
> I do a bit of traveling and want to use my laptop. What is the most
> prevelant type of wireless setups used in hotels and resturants ?
> In other words what kind of card should i buy for my laptop?
>
> Thanks !!!
> Ernest Gaut

I would say for now its 802 b/g . Be aware that if you are connecting
to your office that hackers have been using this to their advantage. You
need some type of security (encryption , firewall) . Check with your
company before you do anything . See what policy they might have. You
can go with a dongle or pcmcia card .
Ideally you want WPA encryption on the card or dongle. WPA is
currently not widely implemented on wireless cards. Good luck.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 7:31:03 PM

Drew Cutter <andrewc@wcoil.com> wrote:
> Ideally you want WPA encryption on the card or dongle. WPA is
> currently not widely implemented on wireless cards. Good luck.

WPA isn't going to help. No public hotspot is going to use WPA. It is up
to your company or home to provide a VPN endpoint for you to connect to.

More than the standards used, the choice really comes down to a provider
that is available in the areas that you are going to visit.
T-Mobile (starbucks), Boingo, AT&T, are popular commercial subscription
services.

http://www.attwireless.com/business/features/communicat...
http://www.boingo.com
http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/

--
---
a b F Wireless

E. Gaut wrote:
> Hi Everyone
> I do a bit of traveling and want to use my laptop. What is the most
> prevelant type of wireless setups used in hotels and resturants ?
> In other words what kind of card should i buy for my laptop?
>
> Thanks !!!
> Ernest Gaut

a/b/g ones are not SO expensive that you can not afford a multi-standard
one... ;-)

Aphrael, solving problems... or trying to do so ;-)
--
"La demande mondiale d’ordinateurs n’excédera pas cinq machines."
(Thomas Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:45:30 GMT, "E. Gaut"
<a-locksmithsco@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>I do a bit of traveling and want to use my laptop. What is the most
>prevelant type of wireless setups used in hotels and resturants ?

802.11b with no encryption or other confusions.

Phil
!