The application failed to initialize properly - 0xc0000005

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Software
  • Windows XP
June 27, 2005 10:42:01 AM

Hi all,

I'm having problems running some software that until recently ran fine.
I'll accept it may be due to a virus, though I'm running two antivirus
programs, a software firewall and the hardware firewall in my D-Link adsl
router.

For example, Microsoft Reader brings up a dialog box with the above error:
"The application failed to initialize properly - 0xc0000005", along with a
requirement to click OK twice. A google search shows many people are
reporting a similar problem with a wide variety of programs, but I haven't
seen a solution yet.

Another program that stopped working for me was The Bourse (share charting
program), and while I don't get an error message, it is the failure to load
the pervasive database used by the Bourse that seems to be the problem.

Most other software that I use regularly still works as it used to.

I've noted some unusual activity in taskmanager - eg, the Microsoft
antispyware (GIANTAntiSpywareMain) program is sometimes listed multiple
times.

I'm running Windows XP home, and have installed all of the security updates
except SP2.

All comments welcome. :)

Cheers,

Brian

More about : application failed initialize properly 0xc0000005

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:49:09 AM

...I almost forgot!

I've also been having problems with my ADSL connection, but this may be a
modem problem rather than an Explorer problem.

Occassionaly I will find that Internet Explorer will lose access to the
internet through my D-Link DSL-G604T, even though IRC and yahoo messenger etc
are still working. I've found that rebooting the D-Link clears the problem,
but I'd prefer not to have to keep doing that.

Cheers,

Brian
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:21:02 PM

HI Brian

I've just loaded the Microsoft Reader software and had exactly the same
error come up. XP Professional SP2

!