The application failed to initialize properly - 0xc0000005

Hi all,

I'm having problems running some software that until recently ran fine.
I'll accept it may be due to a virus, though I'm running two antivirus
programs, a software firewall and the hardware firewall in my D-Link adsl
router.

For example, Microsoft Reader brings up a dialog box with the above error:
"The application failed to initialize properly - 0xc0000005", along with a
requirement to click OK twice. A google search shows many people are
reporting a similar problem with a wide variety of programs, but I haven't
seen a solution yet.

Another program that stopped working for me was The Bourse (share charting
program), and while I don't get an error message, it is the failure to load
the pervasive database used by the Bourse that seems to be the problem.

Most other software that I use regularly still works as it used to.

I've noted some unusual activity in taskmanager - eg, the Microsoft
antispyware (GIANTAntiSpywareMain) program is sometimes listed multiple
times.

I'm running Windows XP home, and have installed all of the security updates
except SP2.

All comments welcome. :)

Cheers,

Brian
2 answers Last reply
More about application failed initialize properly 0xc0000005

    ...I almost forgot!

    I've also been having problems with my ADSL connection, but this may be a
    modem problem rather than an Explorer problem.

    Occassionaly I will find that Internet Explorer will lose access to the
    internet through my D-Link DSL-G604T, even though IRC and yahoo messenger etc
    are still working. I've found that rebooting the D-Link clears the problem,
    but I'd prefer not to have to keep doing that.

    Cheers,

    Brian

    HI Brian

    I've just loaded the Microsoft Reader software and had exactly the same
    error come up. XP Professional SP2

    "Brian Dibbins" wrote:

    > ..I almost forgot!
    >
    > I've also been having problems with my ADSL connection, but this may be a
    > modem problem rather than an Explorer problem.
    >
    > Occassionaly I will find that Internet Explorer will lose access to the
    > internet through my D-Link DSL-G604T, even though IRC and yahoo messenger etc
    > are still working. I've found that rebooting the D-Link clears the problem,
    > but I'd prefer not to have to keep doing that.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Brian

Microsoft Software Windows XP