TECH: Ikari Warriors, JAMMA version

I recently acquired an Ikari Warriors JAMMA boardset.
I've found one online source for a manual, but I believe it is for the
non-JAMMA version.
Does anyone have, or know where I can buy, a copy of the JAMMA IW
manual/schematics?

Also: There are two LEDS on the main board, anyone know what they are
intended to indicate? On mine, the lower (with the edge connector up)
LED is on, but the upper (nearer the edge connector) one is not...

Finally, I can't get any sound out of it, likely due to the missing
volume pot. Does anyone have a JAMMA IW handy, to check which leg of
the pot is supposed to go to which position on the board?

Thanks,
Darren Finck
5 answers Last reply
More about tech ikari warriors jamma version

    Thanks Rob!

    I'll try adjusting the voltage ASAP to get both LEDs lit. I actually
    already tweaked the PS output, guided by my DMM, measuring at the PCB
    connector utill I got 5.0VDC... but I'll certainly try again, guided by
    the LEDs this time. You don't happen to know which indicates high and
    which low, do you? (they're labeled LED1 and LED2 on the PCB).

    Yeah, I searched for a JAMMA version manual, so far fruitlessly. I
    emailed the quarterarcade.com people to ask if their is for the
    dedicated or JAMMA version, and I emailed SNK-Capcom tech support to
    ask if they distribute/sell/license the schematics (I don't really
    expect a response from them...)

    With respect to the volume pot; I determined one of the connections is
    ground, so I expect that the pot's wiper is not connected to that
    one... so that just leaves two possibilities for me :-) I guessed at
    which was which, hooked it up, and hooked up the -5VDC power to the
    edge connector (the prior owner apparently didn't think -5V was
    needed)... and how I have sound(!) However, the volume changes from
    none to too-loud over just a small turn of the pot... so I'm thinking
    I've got the wires wrong still.

    Is the pot on your non-JAMMA PCB 500ohm??

    Thanks,
    Darren

    The led's on the pcb are power indicators, when they both light up you are
    getting the proper amount of voltage to the pcb if only one is lit you ether
    have to much or to less voltage, use a volt meter to see what the voltage
    is. if you don't have a meter then start adjusting the voltage down first
    then up until the led's are both lit. or maybe one of the led's are toast
    witch is a good reason to use a meter. hope this helps.

    I searched around and couldn't find a manual for the jamma version, and no
    longer have my jamma IW pcb to check the volume pot position. I do have the
    non jamma version though and can scan the pcb around the volume pot for you
    but don't know if it will help

    All the best

    Rob Z.
    Toronto, Canada
    <dgfinck@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently acquired an Ikari Warriors JAMMA boardset.
    > I've found one online source for a manual, but I believe it is for the
    > non-JAMMA version.
    > Does anyone have, or know where I can buy, a copy of the JAMMA IW
    > manual/schematics?
    >
    > Also: There are two LEDS on the main board, anyone know what they are
    > intended to indicate? On mine, the lower (with the edge connector up)
    > LED is on, but the upper (nearer the edge connector) one is not...
    >
    > Finally, I can't get any sound out of it, likely due to the missing
    > volume pot. Does anyone have a JAMMA IW handy, to check which leg of
    > the pot is supposed to go to which position on the board?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Darren Finck

    OK, after some research, I'm fairly certain that the JAMMA version of
    Ikari Warriors is the same boardset at Victory Road, but with different
    EPROMs. I found pics of Victory Road PCBs online, and they look
    *exactly* like my JAMMA Ikari Warriors--except for the two sockets
    which are empty on mine are populated. This jibes with reality;
    according to MAME, VR requires the same quantity and size of ROMS as
    IW, PLUS two additional sound ROMS... and the empty sockets on mine are
    very near the sound Z80 (#3). For all I know, my PCB was originally a
    VR and someone swapped in the IW ROMs... Perhaps there are some
    numbers printed on the board to indicate what it originally was.

    Anyhow, I've ordered a Victory Road service manual for its schematics.
    (anyone have a PDF copy of it? so I can get started before my paper
    copy arrives..)

    df

    It looks to be that if voltage is too high then led 2 is on, voltage is too
    low then led 1 is on, and if both are on then voltage is good.

    I checked it out with a victory road pcb, but here's the weird part, when
    both leds were lit I had missing graphics, but when I cranked the voltage up
    to 5.3 all the graphics were present, but at this voltage only led #2 was
    lit.I guess that the led's are just an indicator of where 5.o volts is, so
    in my opinion don't go by the led's.

    that's cool if VR and IW are the same pcb, I wonder if the IW with the 44
    pin edge connectors chips can be swapped onto VR also, if so it would have
    saved me the trouble of making that damn edge connector adapter.

    I have a VR service manual but it hasn't got any schematics, if you still
    need it I can scan it for you. just send me your email address so I can send
    it to you.

    The first cabinet I ever owned was a Robotron that was hacked and made into
    a Jamma cab, It was running Black tiger but there was no sound in it. With
    no experience in electronics it took me a couple of weeks to figer out that
    the operator that I bought it from had not connecter the -5.0 volts to the
    edge connector, I guess he felt that it was also not needed ???

    > Thanks Rob!
    >
    > I'll try adjusting the voltage ASAP to get both LEDs lit. I actually
    > already tweaked the PS output, guided by my DMM, measuring at the PCB
    > connector utill I got 5.0VDC... but I'll certainly try again, guided by
    > the LEDs this time. You don't happen to know which indicates high and
    > which low, do you? (they're labeled LED1 and LED2 on the PCB).
    >
    > Yeah, I searched for a JAMMA version manual, so far fruitlessly. I
    > emailed the quarterarcade.com people to ask if their is for the
    > dedicated or JAMMA version, and I emailed SNK-Capcom tech support to
    > ask if they distribute/sell/license the schematics (I don't really
    > expect a response from them...)
    >
    > With respect to the volume pot; I determined one of the connections is
    > ground, so I expect that the pot's wiper is not connected to that
    > one... so that just leaves two possibilities for me :-) I guessed at
    > which was which, hooked it up, and hooked up the -5VDC power to the
    > edge connector (the prior owner apparently didn't think -5V was
    > needed)... and how I have sound(!) However, the volume changes from
    > none to too-loud over just a small turn of the pot... so I'm thinking
    > I've got the wires wrong still.
    >
    > Is the pot on your non-JAMMA PCB 500ohm??
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Darren

    OK, I found the following information online, regarding board ID
    numbers:

    Ikari Warriors 1986 A5004 "IW"
    Tradewest 3 x Z80
    Victory Road / Dogou Souken 1986 A6002 "P"
    Tradewest

    There are three boards that make up the board-set:
    My top (main) board has an ID number starting with A6002, so it was
    apparently originally a Victory Road.
    My middle/2nd board has an ID number starting with A5004, an original
    Ikari.
    I didn't take all of the boards out of the cabinet tonight to peek at
    what the bottom/3rd board is labeled...

    I wonder if the 2nd & 3rd boards were the same, and only the 1st/main
    board changed between the non-JAMMA and JAMMA versions of IW.

    Anyhow, I suppose the bottom line is... Ikari ROMs can be swapped onto
    a Victory Road board if you want a JAMMA Ikari Warriors.

    df

Video Games